'thumping' on starting

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
suzette bullock

'thumping' on starting

Post by suzette bullock »

The past few times I've come to start my 1.6 Laser, it has made two short thumping noises when cranking the engine. The engine starts and stops, but runs on a little when it's hot and the car runs and drives as normal. It's not a backfiring type noise, it's the sort of thump you get when you release the handbrake. It seems to be coming from under the car, in the engine bay area.
Andy

oh dear!

Post by Andy »

I don't want to cause alarm but knocking or any kind of noise from the bottom of the engine is nearly always a bad sign - it ususlly indicates crankshaft problems. Having said that, a less expensive answer could be a loose exhaust bracket. All exhausts tend to shakeon start up and if yours has come adrift it could be knocking on the underside of the car when you start up. Lets hope its that eh?!
As for running on, this is indicates a coked up cylinder head. This happens in all high mileage engines and means before too long you will need the head removing and cleaning. This is not always a bad thing as it will restore much of the cars original performance and will give you the chance to make any more changes in the cylinder head that may be due - cam/followers etc. You could also fit unleaded valve seats or a performance or high torque camshaft.
You seem to have had a fare few problems with your little number - how thoroughly did you have it checked over when you got it? Is it particularly high mileage?
Noel Reeve

running on

Post by Noel Reeve »

The running on might just be caused by poor tune.

If you are using LRP, then this is not such a high octane as 4 star and will tend to cause running on. Try using normal unleaded with an additive like 'valvemaster plus', and that might cure the running on - before resorting to taking the head off.
Su bullock

knocking

Post by Su bullock »

It hasn't done it this morning, so I presume it is just a loose exhaust bracket - I had been driving over rough ground when it happened. I bought the car under the belief it had only had 2 owners, but when I asked for the vehicle history from DVLA, I found out that I am owner number 8 (it's D-Registered).
Luckily I have avery good friend who has been looking after it for me, but I didn't have the car checked before I bought it as it was a case of wheels, or no wheels!
suzette
Marco

See....

Post by Marco »

...thats exactly what happened to me: Bouhgt the car in good faith as it looks exceptionally good on top. Found out that instead of the proclaimed 140000km it had according to the owner I found out that it really had 240000 , the owners forgot to remove one of the servicing bills.

Well, I kept the car still in good faith as it runs remarcably well.

And guess what happened: During the first service when the car got lifted we found out that welding of approx. £1500 has to be done....Anyway, trying to learn welding myself since there£s plenty of time left, the car has MOT until 09/2001 (in Germany it is 2 years)

Ergo:

NEVER trust anybody who sells a car, even if it looks smashing !!!!

Cheers
Marco
xxx
Andy

Welding

Post by Andy »

You are right - unless the car is perfect, the only way to keep a car like a Capri without running out of money is to learn how to weld! I am determined to do this. But I haven't started yet! How are you going to learn?
Marco

Learning by doing....

Post by Marco »

Got a friend who has got all the equipment but not the time. But he will give me some roundup of the basic in combination with trying it on some non-capri-metal (;-))

And after that I will fire away.

Should all this go wrong I will sell the car as a spares-carrier next year and then hopefully I do find a better one.

Good Job I have a new Astra besides, isn£t it?

Cheers
Marco
xxx
Craig Adamson

Astra

Post by Craig Adamson »

SELL THE ASTRA VERY QUICKLY, or at least don't mention it on this site !!!!!!

Good luck with the welding by the way.
Marco

Astra ?

Post by Marco »

My good intentions: Astra£s purpose is to protect the Capri ;-))

I am driving about 30000 miles a year, and I don£t like the new Ford£s, to be honest.

The Focus£ dashboard looks as if someone with a machete went across it.....and they forgot to put rearlights on it !!!!

Anyway, I see your point. Maybe we can do it this way: Let£s contact Ford and convince the of selling to us the remaining new Capris they have tucked away in any of their museums, they should be capapble of doing 30000 miles a year ;-))

Cheerio
Marco
xxx
Sami Kuusela

About welding

Post by Sami Kuusela »

Well ,I am an metal worker and I can say that there is no magic in welding a car. You just choose the right equipment (MIG-welding), right thread (0.6 mm thick) and right amount of power, then just carefully start welding. The point is not to weld too long bits at the same time because the heat can bend the metal. Especially careful when welding wheelarcehs and so or straight metal surfaces.

Recards - Sami Kuusela
MArco

Thanks

Post by MArco »

Well, this sounds as if it£s "learnable"...

Thank you
Cheers Marco
xxx