Starting problems 3L V6

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
C Williams

Starting problems 3L V6

Post by C Williams »

Hello Capri enthusiast,I'm hoping you can help. I have a jet boat which has been repowered with a Ford 3L V6. My research indicates it is from a Capri. It is like that shown bottom left of the engine bay pictures. The engine starts easily from cold but is a real problem when hot. It seems to flood, but if left for a few minutes starts easily. It has a weber carb fitted but the auto choke has been removed. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
guitarswet

Hot starting

Post by guitarswet »

This is usually caused by fuel evaporation which is caused by the carburettor getting hot. Can you build a heat baffle to direct the heat away from your exhaust manifold or cover the manifold in asbestos insulation tape that you can buy?
Chris Williams

Untitled

Post by Chris Williams »

Thanks but not the problem. The engine is completely uncovered so there is good air flow and the carburettor remains cool. I have noticed the distributor breaker points are showing signs of excessive burning. I think the condenser/capacitor might be faulty but doubt this is the only problem. The engine is run at a constant 3500 rpm. I am thinking of replacing with electronic ignition but are having trouble sourcing second hand in New Zealand. Have been told new is expensive.