HEATING PROBLEM?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HADRIAN VERNON

HEATING PROBLEM?

Post by HADRIAN VERNON »

SHOULD THE TEMP BE RISING SO FAST ON MY 2.8 IN TRAFFIC OR IS IT NORMAL I CANT REMEMBER. I DONT THINK THERE IS A THERMOSTAT IN IT
OR IS THE VISCOS KNACKERD? ALSO DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF YOU CAN STILL GET REPLACEMENT REAR VALLENCES IF SO WHERE AND HOW MUCH
THANKS!!
DAVID LEAN

the heat is on

Post by DAVID LEAN »

if you aint runnin a thermostat your engine will run slightly cooler than standard as the water is constantly circulating - this won't do your engine any harm. - if you problem only occurs when sitting in traffic my first idea would be the fan - is it coming on ?? - if not check / try replacing the fan switch - a dirt cheap part 'bout a fiver.

hope that helps!
Noel Reeve

erm

Post by Noel Reeve »

Think Dave is a bit confused about fan switches.

The 2.8i and indeed all capris post crossflow engine era (don't know exact date) have thermo viscous fans, not electric ones, so there is no switch to check.

Maybe your thermo-visc fan is knackered (which would seem the answer if it only overheats in traffic) or maybe your radiator needs a good flush. I would whip out the rad, give the whole engine a good flushing, give the radiator a good flush (upside down and all) and then put it back together.

I would dump the thermo visc fan (they're cack anyway and allegedly cause quite a bit of drag on the engine) and replace it with an electric one, then you know that it either works or doesn't.
HADRIAN VERNON

cheers boys

Post by HADRIAN VERNON »

THANKS LADS I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM IT WAS THE RAD CAP
IT WAS SUCKING IN AIR £4.75 FROM BROOKLIN FORD SORTED!!!