Shocks

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Sami Kuusela

Shocks

Post by Sami Kuusela »

I am wondering, the 2.8i is lower than standard Capri (1 inch if remember correctly) so the shocks must be also shorter?! The reason why ask this is that my Capri is not stading straight and the only reason I can think of this moment is that the shocks are not a pair (previous owner did some neat stuff to my Capri...). I've checked the springs, rear leaves, bushes and all so could the shocks make the problem? It leans to the driver's side at this moment. The car hasn't got engine in so the shocks are in up position.

Regards - Sami
Noel Reeve

Untitled

Post by Noel Reeve »

Does it lean to the drivers side at the back or the front?? Is it the rear shocks that are not a pair?
If it leans only on the rear corner, then you can fairly easily disconnect the rear shocks and eliminate those.

If it's the front that's the problem, then it's not so easy to take things to pieces, but maybe it's just a weak spring?
guitarswet

Shock absorbers

Post by guitarswet »

Shock absobers themselves do not have any strength to hold the weight of a car in a particular position. In fact if you remove the shocks from the car the car will still sit with the same height. It is the suspension that dictates the height of the car. If your car leans to one side then one side must have a weak spring compared to the other. If you drive your capri on your own all the time then it is possible that the drivers side will eventually sit lower than the passenger side. The length of shock absorbers is not easy to determine as gas filled ones are fully extended when purchased and oil filled ones are fully compressed when purchased. Each Capri model has a specified type of shock absorber and the 2.8i 's were certainly fitted with more fancy shocks compared with the Laser models. Hopefully that makes sense.
Sami Kuusela

Maybe the springs...

Post by Sami Kuusela »

Well, maybe I should take the frontsprings off and try to see if the other is weaker that other. New springs doesn't cost much here in Finland so I think I'll try with new ones to see if the problems solves with that. Thanks to Noel and you, Mark.

Regards - Sami Kuusela