bodywork

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Su Bullock

bodywork

Post by Su Bullock »

Before I got the capri on the road, 6 months ago, I ground the rear wheel arches , filled them with metalik filler and gave them a good thick coating of hammerite. Shock horror, I polish my beloved today and the rust is breaking back through on the arches. Fill and Hammerite, or just Hammerite? Anybody help?
Noel Reeve

difficult one that

Post by Noel Reeve »

Su,
You're fighting a losing battle! The only way to stop the rust repeatedly coming through is to weld in new metal, or to use a complete wheel arch replacement panel.

That is all very expensive of course and probably not the sort of thing you want to do, so I reckon you should do as before and use filler, but give everything a good clean up and dose of rust killer (the stuff that turns it black). Then apply some zinc based primer, and then the hammerite. Finally, finish with a dousing of waxoyl from inside the rear quarter of the car (you will have to take all the trim panels off) so that the seams of the rear arches are saturated with waxoyl from the inside.

The reason the rust keeps coming through is because moisture works its way between the filler and the remaining metal, and causes rusting all over again. If you use a rust proofing wax or something like that then it will tend to stop the moisture getting in there in the first place.

You might find that a more liquid alternateive to waxoyl might wirk its way around the arches better. In Practical Classics mag this month there is a comparison test of loads of different rust proofing products. Worth a look probably.
Suzette

Thanks

Post by Suzette »

Yes, I bought Practical Classics and was reading the rustproofing article about 2 hours ago! I didn't know about the zinc based primer, so maybe that was where I went wrong last time. I need to keep hold of the rear arches as long as I can 'cos I came off work 16 months ago with ME so money's tight (unless I get my pension back and then I'll give the Capri a real treat and get it all sorted out properly). For now, I'll try your method, Noel!