A Capri Virgin writes...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Stephen

A Capri Virgin writes...

Post by Stephen »

Right then, I've finally realised an ambition of mine and bought a Capri. 1984 black 2.0s for the princely sum of £325...MOT & tax til May, Cd player, alloys and newish battery - alright, there's bit of cosmetic work needed, but my mechanic reckons it's in pretty good nick...and it didn't half come in handy to get me to work in Birmingham the day after I'd bought it (it lives with me in Liverpool), cos it takes that 4 star stuff when I couldn't get any unleaded for my Fiesta! Good timing on that purchase and no mistake!!

But as a complete non-mechanically-minded person, does anyone out there have any tips for me for general maintanence/good practice etc now that I've got what is definitely the best car in our street!

Have I got a bargain, or will it be knackered in a month?

What's my best bet for clearing the minor scrapes and scratches on the body work?

Anyone in the Liverpool area recommended to take it to see for an appraisal?

Any Carpri clubs/organisations/meetings in my area?

Any other practical advice at all? I work freelance around the country...can I expect it to get me to Brum one day & Leeds the next two or three times a week? What fuel consumption figures would I get at 60 mph?

Anyway, thanks for reading this rather long-winded and very general quiery...if anyone can help, I'd be unbelievably grateful

Cheers

Stephen
guitarswet

Some suggestions

Post by guitarswet »

You will be pretty stuck without a Haynes manual so I would get one of these. You would do worse than to read through my service guide on this web page to give you an idea of what is involved. I would service the car straight away unless you know the history. You should worry about the timing belt if there is no proof it has been replaced recently. At the very least you should learn how to change the oil and filter.

It sounds like you have a bargain on your hands. Your Capri is never going to be concours for that price but they are solid cars generally. You will get over 30mpg easily if you do a lot of motorway driving. I would consider using unleaded petrol plus an additive (eg castrol valvemaster) This seems to work better for most people and it works out cheaper than LRP. My capri did not seem to like LRP very much.
Su Bullock

Liverpool and cheshire branch Capri Club

Post by Su Bullock »

There is a Liverpool and Cheshire branch of the main Capri Club International. It is held at the Ford Social Club in Cronton, Widnes, Cheshire on the 1st Sunday of each month starting at 12 noon. Contact Richie Boyes for details - 0151-495-3855. ALL capri's are welcome regardless of condition. It's just great to see them all parked and driving round together!