oil pressure

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Ross Glynn

oil pressure

Post by Ross Glynn »

I run a 1984 2.8i and am a little concerned about its low oil pressure when fully warm. I have had loads of opinions on the subject but does anyone no whats the correct position on my gauge for the needle to be. When its cold it stays around three quarters, and when fully warmed up on tickover its very near the red, there is no knocking or rumbling from the engine at all. Thanks
andrew chalmers

Untitled

Post by andrew chalmers »

My Essex v6 is exactly the same, gets a bit worrying when at idle in traffic, but rises again as you build revs.
I have tried a few different oils and additives but it always ends up just above the red.

I think its a Capri V6 thing, like having to give a wee rev to get the rev counter to start........
Marco

I can only tell for the Pinto....

Post by Marco »

...but in it£s case the gauge stays mainly just above half all the time.

There£s a dialogue further down where I asked about this, and anybody said it£s normal for the Pinto.

As there seem to be other V6 with the same problem as you have this really might be normal...

Cheers
Marco
xxx
guitarswet

Oil Pressure

Post by guitarswet »

Bear in mind that the Capri gauges are notoriously innacuarate! V6 engines have lower oil pressures than 4 cylinder engines so it is not useful to compare with a pinto. I think you will find most owners will have a similar reading to yours. If you are still worried why not ask a garage to measure it accurately for you? This should be fairly quick and cheap to do!
Noel Reeve

pressure

Post by Noel Reeve »

Do not worry, mine does similar, and when I had it checked at a garage the pressure was found to be fine.

Do not expect the needle to either get to, or go above the half way line - ever. At tickover it can look dangerously low when really there's nothing wrong.

You aren't using the wrong oil or anything are you? If in doubt, change the oil to GTX and get a new oil filter - use a proper motorcraft one from Ford to be sure.
Mark 280

more reassurence

Post by Mark 280 »

Dont worry mate ,my brooklands is only a touch higher where as my lazer shows 3/4 on the gauge
Mark;O)