Lights

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Reeles

Lights

Post by Reeles »

Is it possible/legal to wire up all four lamps to come on when you switch just the side/normal lights on and then all four to go main beam?

Cheers
Rob
JamieH

4 sidelamps

Post by JamieH »

You can't just wire them all up-there are two possibilities:
1/ Get two dim/dip resistors (eg from a metro), and wire one to the dip headlamps, and one to the main beams, through a relay which is wired into the sidelamp circuit. The problem with this setup is that some people might be dazzled still by the main beams, although with a dim/dip they should be about as bright as the sidelamps. Best bet is to fit a switch as well, so that you can switch them off with the sides on. I have tried this with spotlamps before, and it worked well.
2/ Get a pair of inner headlamps which have dip and main beam, and possibly also sidelamps. Rover P6 outer headlamps have dip and main, and I think (think only!) that they are the same size. Jaguar XJ6 (old style) also have this size. These don't have sidelamps in them, but could use a dim/dip on the dip beams. Or you could track down a halogen conversion which has removeable bulbs and sidelamps. The P6 outers are only 55W, but that is what the Capri inners are anyway.
Don't take these ideas as gospel-I haven't tried them on my Capri yet, but they should work. As well as looking good, they will increase your visibility to other cars-useful when nobody seems to be aware of whats coming!
Reeles

What about......

Post by Reeles »

Is it a possibility that I could get a set of capri outer lights from a scrap yard, fit them as the inners, removing main beam all together and have a set of high power spot lights to replace main beam?? Illegal/mot failure?

Thanks for the advice
Rob
Craig Adamson

LIGHTS

Post by Craig Adamson »

That's what i was gonna do, not sure about MOT tho'.
Marco

MOT

Post by Marco »

To be honest I can£t think that you will get an MOT with this arrangement of lights because of the increased amount of light from the two lamps.

It£should be the same as when people connect their breakinglights and rear foglights to come up together when breaking, this is not legal as well.

Best will be to simply ask an MOT-man...

Cheers
MArco
xxx