Translation

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Marco

Translation

Post by Marco »

Hello,

being german, can anybody please explain what exactly is described by tickover?

Cheers
Marco
xxx
guitarswet

tickover

Post by guitarswet »

It just means the speed of the engine when the throttle is closed, and should be approximately 850rpm.
Marco

Aaahhh....

Post by Marco »

...I see....

Which reminds me: this varies on my Capri. When it is cold it is around 800 rpm, but when the car gets increasingly warm the level of rpm goes up to just above 1000 rpm.

Is this normal?

Cheers MArco
xxx
guitarswet

tickover

Post by guitarswet »

If you have a twin choke weber carburettor with an automatic cold start choke then you should follow the start procedure carefully: For a cold start: depress the accelerator fully and release. Then start the car with both feet off the pedals. The car should start and give a fast tickover of 2000rpm. after thrirty seconds to one minute you can give the accelerator a quick push to release the fast tickover. The tickover should then drop to about 1000rpm. As the engine warms up the choke plates at the top of the carb will gradually rise until they are vertical. At this point the tickover will have dropped a bit more to its normal position of 800 - 900 rpm.
Marco

The car behaves mainly like you describe, but....

Post by Marco »

....after it£s really reached it£s working temperature the revs are at 1200 rpm and can£t be decreased by pushing the gas pedal.

Before adjusting the ignition we tried to decrease the tickover, but then the engine dies when it£s cold....

The engine and ignition have been adjusted carefully after that just a month ago, and we have checked it again, everything is fine.

It doesn£t disturb me that much, but I really would like to know what£s the reason for this behaviour...

Cheerio
Marco
xxx
Noel

I know how to fix this (probably)

Post by Noel »

I had a similar problem on my X1/9 which has a twin Weber with an autochoke.

What has happened is that the bimetal spring on the autochoke gets tired (ie loses it's springiness) and is not able to keep the choke properly open when the engine has warmed up, hence the fast running.

If you loosen the retaining screws around the autochoke housing (the round bit with the water pipes connected) and then turn the housing slightly (maybe by 5-6mm) to put a bit on tension back on things, then that should cure it.

Be warned though that you mustn't turn it too far or the spring will not have enough travel to close the choke fully when cold, and your starting will suffer.

Its a bit of a toss up and you have to compromise somewhere, or buy a new autochoke that isn't knackered.
Marco

Cheers...

Post by Marco »

...will see to that and report here.
Marco
xxx