valve guides

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul Berry

valve guides

Post by Paul Berry »

Can anyone tell me ? WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF GOING ABOUT GETTING THE GUIDES REPLACED OR REAMED. I see some companies sell new guides.
guitarswet

Valve guides

Post by guitarswet »

The pinto engine does not have valve guides as it is a cast iron head. The valves just pass straight through the cast iron. This will have some wear on it after very high mileages and you can get valve guides inserted - but they have to machined so it is going to be very expensive. I would guess that you may be better off getting a replacement head if it is that bad. Again when I had my head converted to unleaded the chap told me that there was a bit of play in the valve stems but it was nothing to worry about - I ended up with 118 bhp at the wheels compared with 97.5 fromfive years previous.

If yo are doing a top end rebuild then the main bits to replace are 1) the camshaft 2) new followers and 3) possibly new springs if they are not the correct length. Yes the other bits will have some wear on them but not as bad as these. You should get the head converted to unleaded. St Ives Engineering did everything for me for £100 + VAT and the head came back looking brand new ! with valves all ground in.