Sunroof scratch and rust???

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Lee

Sunroof scratch and rust???

Post by Lee »

I'm actually selling my capri now (on this site) but I could be pursauded to keep her if I know how to fix my scratch and rust sun roof.

Anyone had the same problem?

Mine now has a small rust hole in the roof behind the sunroof and it appears to have come from the sunroof scratching away at the surface. I tried to straihten it out using Haynes manual but no joy. So unless someone knows how to fix it, I will give up and get another Capri with no sunroof!! Any suggestions out there! Oh yes, another thing - why is there not a capri club in East London or remotely near???
Noel

difficult to fix

Post by Noel »

The hole in the roof is not caused by the sunroof wearing against it. It is a straightforward rust perforation caused by decay setting in on the underside of the roof skin. Just behind the sunroof there is a kind of strengthening frame spot welded inside the roof, what happens is that this goes rusty, and causes two problems:
1 Perforations in the roof
2 Flakes of rust scratching the sunroof.

Even if you set the sunroof on its lowest setting (following haynes as you have done) you will probably still not get it to clear the rusty bits.

The best you can do is to take a wire brush to the rust (may have to take the headlining off) and waxoyl it. Then you can see if the roof still fouls and get it painted.

Put it this way -
I had my Capri resprayed and hence all the scratches on the roof have gone. I know that if I slide the roof back it will buggar it up straight away. So I will just make do with it tilting.
claire

same problem

Post by claire »

i have the same problem only mine hasn't got to the hole in the roof stage yet, unfortunatley it has spread outward from the sunroof and covers a very large area of the roof.
i got a quote for getting it fixed and it was pretty expensive and there is also the problem of the roof-lining, as apparently they are very difficult to put back on-i haven't tried and don't intend to, i'm getting the garage to do mine.
i was told the problem is caused by a leaky sunroof seal and/or condensation on the underside of the roof.
Lee

Screen out?

Post by Lee »

Am I right in thinking I have to take the front screen out in order to remove the head lining so I can see how bad it is underneath. anyone know?
Lee

Garage or Home

Post by Lee »

Sorry to hear you have the same problem too, mine looked like that only three months ago and now I have this little hole so it can only get worse and rapidly at that.

I'm trying to figure out if I can fix it myself at home (no garage) or if it will be better in the long run to take your option and take it to a pro.

Roughly how much am I looking at do you think?

Cheers

Lee
claire

not sure about cost

Post by claire »

i'm getting mine done by a friend who owns a garage so it will be cheaper than taking it to a 'normal' garage, and hes doing some more work as well so i'm not sure what the price just for the roof.
unless you are really good at body work maybe it would be best to take it to a garage, i know it is a difficult area to repair.
(i don't think you can get replacement new headlining either if it gets damaged-only second hand)
i think a large part of my roof is going to have to be cut away to get rid of the rust completely and yours sounds slightly worse than mine. my roof will need re-painting in a metallic colour so this pushes the price up as well.
if you are a member of CCI your local branch sould know a good garage you could take it to.
hope this helps!!!

claire
Lee

Oh dear! Thanks!

Post by Lee »

Cheers, sounds like I might be better of selling it as I first thought. When I get a quote I will display the price here if anyone is interested. I'm not bad at bodywork but i think it may be a bit much for me without somwhere to actually carry out the work.

Thanks again though.