Mark's BHP Boost - From?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andy P

Mark's BHP Boost - From?

Post by Andy P »

What have you done Mark, to get your 118? How much would you/others in the know say I'd get from the following in a 2.0S:

1. Kent High Torque Cam (10 BHP so they say)
2. Mildly but carefully considered gas flowed head
3. Nasty edges and excessive tulip effect reduced off valve backs
4. Weber 38DGAS from V6 (already in and providing much improved hill climbing abilities along with lovely noise!)
5. 4-2-1 Ashley exhaust manifold
6. K&N Filter

Andy
guitarswet

Engine mods

Post by guitarswet »

This is what I did to get 118:

1) Remove head and have it all cleaned reground and converted to unleaded
2) Port matched the inlet manifold (cut away about 2mm on the diameter)
3) Stripped and overhauled the carb (weber twin choke)
4) Fitted a Capri Club performance exhaust system
5) Fitted a K&N air filter
6) Fitted a 'mild road' camshaft from the capri club
7) Replaced the rockers (from Burton power)
8) Fitted a vernier pulley

The car was then properly set up on a Rolling Road. Don't bother unless you have the vernier pulley as this will need adjusting to get the best power out of your camshaft. This was great fun by the way!

The mods you are suggesting will hopefully give you 130 bhp - You really neeed to think about twin 40's at some point. The fueling from my twin choke was found to be absolutely fine apart from the very top end when it was starting to go a bit lean (quite normal). Don't put a silly camshaft in - mine gives peak power at 4900 rpm which is good for overtaking. Most fast road cams don't kick in till 6000 rpm!

If you want more power you will need to start spending money on forged pistons as you will need to increase the compression ratio.

One final point. She is set up to run off unleaded plus additive still. The timing is still at 8 degrees as per 4-star. I can't see the point of retarding the ignition to run off unleaded proper when this will give you a noticable drop in power. For the mileage I do in her I would rather enjoy the performance!
Andy P

Weber 38

Post by Andy P »

130 sounds good - that's about what I was thinking. The mods are biased toward engine efficiency rather than outright performance. I couldn't afford the fuel bills from twin 40's. The 38 has actually improved mpg over the 32/36 because of the extra torque you get from the simultaneous choke linkage. I strongly recommend this carb to anyone as it can, contrary to popular opinion as it's a downdraft, provide enough carburation for serious power tuning (way beyond 130), but is also very efective for the sort of thing I'm doing. I'm hoping allying it to the cam which is a very mild one tuned for torque will give better still mpg with storming hill climbing capabilities - I often visit the Lake District!