Lumenition Ignition

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
scott

Lumenition Ignition

Post by scott »

I am fitting a Lumenition Kit to my 2.0 Laser (1985). You are told to connect a wire (violet wire) to the -ve terminal on the coil in place of the wire which came from the (now-redundant) points/condenser. Unfortunately the points/condenser wire never connected (at least directly) to the -ve coil terminal, instead connecting to some kind of relay/juncture on the inner wing , right beside the coil. My question is - do I just connect this wire to the point on the inner wing where the points/condenser wire used to connect to , or do I have to put it directly onto the -ve terminal and be left with an extra plug (containing the two wires which are at the moment connected to the -ve coil terminal) and nowhere for it to go ?! Incidentally, does this juncture on the inner wing have anything to do with the rev-counter ? Hope someone can help. Thanks
scott

I should add..

Post by scott »

I should perhaps add that the violet wire was once coloured brown on earlier versions of the Lumenition kit. Cheers.
guitarswet

You are correct

Post by guitarswet »

The wiring appears slightly more complicated than Lumenition imply but you are right that the wires from the coil are bypassed to the Rev counter which works on impulse from the coil.

It doesn't really matter where you attach the kit but it may stop the Rev counter from working if you chose the wrong place. Hopefully the instructions will mention this problem but if not cut the wire that goes to the noise suppressor that is bolted on top of the inlet manifold (black plastic thing) and then on to the condensor. I used bullet crimp connectors to allow easy removal - but I also covered the connection in heat shrink tubing which looks neat and keeps the water out. It's been fine for over eight years now!
scott

Thanks

Post by scott »

Thanks for that, Mark - I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on - I've had 2 Capris fitted with this kit over the years, but this is the first time I've fitted one myself - I got a garage to do the first two, but that was some 8 - 10 years ago, and I've forgotten what they did ! Anyway , I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again for your help ! All the best -

Scott