Fan belt screech

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
LASER POWER

Fan belt screech

Post by LASER POWER »

When i switch my lights on to dip-beam, i get a horrific fan-belt esque screeching noise in low revs, which disappears once i hit about 2000 rpm.Without lights on, it runs fine with no noise...Has my alternator gone?..or is a simple case of a worn fan-belt(which looks in reasonable condition, but has yet to be removed for inspction)?..P.S. my battery is new, and fully charged.
Marco

FanBelt

Post by Marco »

I would think there simply isn£t enough tension on the belt...try to re-adjust this first...

Cheers
Marco
xxx
guitarswet

Tighten her up

Post by guitarswet »

Your fan belt is screeching because it is not tight enough. They do need to be quite tight - I use a block of wood and lever it outwards before retightening the bolts. Another worthwile investment is a can of belt dressing that you spray onto the belt. This will stop the noise immediately.
guitarswet

Tighten her up

Post by guitarswet »

Your fan belt is screeching because it is not tight enough. They do need to be quite tight - I use a block of wood and lever it outwards before retightening the bolts. Another worthwile investment is a can of belt dressing that you spray onto the belt. This will stop the noise immediately.
LASER POWER

Belt Dressing

Post by LASER POWER »

Where can i get that belt dressing stuff from?...Halfords??