changing coolant

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul Berry

changing coolant

Post by Paul Berry »

At the weekend i deciced with winter on the way, that i would change the coolant . I MIXED THE ANTI FREEZE 50/50. problem is it always seems to get some type of air lock. I dont know how to bleed the system on my 2litre laser. It always runs hotter for a few days after untill the system is free of trapped air HA HA.
Noel

do this

Post by Noel »

Make sure the heater switch is set to hot, with the radiator cap off, run at a fast idle and keep squeezing all the hoses. Put the radiator cap on as it gets warmer otherwise it will boil up.

You will find you will need to let it warm up enough to open the thermostat and get some decent flow going so as to help clear the airlocks.

Some pintos (or is it all of them?) have a bleed spigot on the thermostat housing that can be uncapped while you are filling the system.
guitarswet

This always works

Post by guitarswet »

Next time try this: undo and detach the hose going into the back of the automatic choke. It's the highest point on the system. You can even fill through the hose if you have a funnel that will fit snuggly. Keep the radiator cap off. You will not have any problems this way. But when you start her up a) keep topping the radiator up as the engine gets hot b) watch the temperature gauge on your dash and stop if it gets too hot! c) get her nice and hot and check the top hose on the radiator - it should suddenly go very much hotter as the thermosta open up. Finally top the expansion tank up to max with the engine still hot. This will drop down towards min as it cools and is perfectly normal.