forward reverse!.....

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Su Bullock

forward reverse!.....

Post by Su Bullock »

Just lately, a couple of times, not all of the time, when I engage 1st gear, the car locates reverse. It doesn't happen the other way around and it only happens now and again....like usually when there's a car behind you! Is it worn linkages or just because 1st and R are so close?
Paul Speiser

rev instead of first

Post by Paul Speiser »

My 1.6 Lazer does it as well I think its a thing
Noel

my theory

Post by Noel »

Assume you're on about a five speed box on a Laser where first is next to reverse.
In that case my reckoning is that the gearstick is worn and that replacing it with a less worn one or a brand new quick shifter will help this problem. Reasoning:

It isn't a linkage problem because these boxes have no linkage as such - the gear lever operates the selector rods directly.

On these boxes you have to push down and across to get the stick into the reverse gate do you not? Well I think the spring on the gear lever that you push against is tired, and hence it tends to 'fall down' into the reverse gate when you push it towards first.

I don't know how you would go about changing the spring, it is probably easier to get a less worn stick from a scrapper. A quickshift stick is about £40 and with that little beauty you'll never make a wrong selection, but it is an acquired taste and not everyone likes them.
Robin 280

Sounds about right..

Post by Robin 280 »

Think that sound about right to me as well..

I had a 2 litre years back with a 3 litre type lever / linkages though, very unusual, and it was new at the time..( X reg )

Regards - Robin