rev counter

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
steve c

rev counter

Post by steve c »

I've just bought a 1986 D-reg 1.6 laser for £125!!!!!! I'm new to capris and this one does have a few things wrong with it (but for this price im not complaining as the bodywork and chassis is as solid as a rock!!). I have a strong suspicion that my rev counter is telling lies as it says at 80mph in top gear im doing about 1500rpm and at tickover says about 300rpm!!! To test this i revved the arse off it and it would go no further than 3500!!!!!! Is there an obvious cause of this does anyone know???? I also have a dodgey fuel gauge, worn bushes and some smoke from the engine.

Steve
HADRIAN VERNON

rev it

Post by HADRIAN VERNON »

THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THE TACHO
MIGHT BE OUT OF A V6 THE EASY WAY TO CHECK THIS IS TO LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FACE OF THE CLOCK AND CHECK IF THERE IS A NUMBER ON IT IT MIGHT SAY 1.6 2.0 OR V6 ITS VERY SMALL
BUT THERE IS ONE THERE IF IT HAS V6 YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE CLOCK AND THE CIRCIT BOARD ON THE REAR OF THE DASH OR JUST PICK ONE UP FROM A SCRAPPYS GOOD LUCK LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON HADRIAN
Robin 280

Try these..

Post by Robin 280 »

Suspect voltage regulator in dashboard might be duff, as you are having probs with fuel gauge as well.

Worn bushes try getting the hard ones available from Capri Club International.

Smoke .. try the 'stop smoke' type additive, I used it on an old 2.3 V6 Sierra which had done 130,000 miles and it never did it again.

Hope some of this helps...

Regards - Robin..
Steve c

rev counter

Post by Steve c »

Well I think the fuel gauge is a seperate problem, because reading through this website it seems the sender unit in the petrol tank is notorious for not working properley. If what you say is right, how do I sort this voltage regulator out - where does it live etc etc.

Thanks

Steve
Robin 280

Post by Robin 280 »

Volt Reg - I'll look it up to make sure, and get back to you...

There is a lead in the boot that goes down to earth, middle of boot I think, near the spare wheel well, think it is black, this is the earth to the fuel sender, make sure it is a GOOD connection and very clean, as this makes a difference to the reading the gauge shows, or it did on mine..

I'll be in touch again soon..

Regards Robin 280
guitarswet

A few suggestions

Post by guitarswet »

The rev counter is energised from the pulse through the ignition circuit. You can have problems with the tacho if the points are worn / dirty or not set correctly. So it wouldn't do any harm to check the distributor and associated wiring.

The fuel sender usually sways up and down if the voltage regulator is bust. It is located on the circuit board behind the dashboard and is the size of a smal match box. It maintains an even voltage to the instruments. If the fuel sender works but only reads half way when the tank is full then try cleaning up the wire contacts at the sender itself. You will find the copper wires have gone all black so cut them back a bit. When you are happy try covering everything with some silicone sealant to keep the wet out.

Blue smoke from your engine is a sign of worn piston rings and is pretty much unavoidable in any high mileage car. Try using 'high mileage' oil such as Castrol GTX when you service her - it's thicker so it is more likely to stay in the engine.
dave

fit a racetech gauge

Post by dave »

why not fit a racetech rev counter to your coil for the time being if your in to a spot of street/strip.if not then rob a gauge from a scrappies if i are you from the same car. its not very often someone sober fits a v6 rev counter into anything of the 4 cylinder kind for obvious reasons.
steve c

so.....

Post by steve c »

i've checked the clock face and it is for a 4-cyl engine, so thats not it. Ive checked as many wires as i can see around the coil and distributor, everything seems fine....the last thing to try like u say is a new rev counter......am i right in thinking that because it is working partially (and lying!) it is the fault of the actuall clock and that had it not worked at all this one denote a wiring fault????