funny lights

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dave

funny lights

Post by dave »

my lights are acting funny latly since my 2.0 laser has been parked outdoors. its been parked in a garage for anything up to 12 years so it hasnt really been open to the elements much before. i only have one stop light.when i push the brake pedal the opposing front side light operates along with the other brake light.this usually indicates a blown bulb at the back or an incorrect one(single at the rear).but both my rear bulbs are brand new.that same front sidelight fails to operate when i switch them on. i have recently replaced the two dip beam lamps because of this but with no joy. Can anyone whos had the same or simular problem get back to meon this one as i cant drive at night till its fixed. its on a D plate.
Marco

Check every electrical sockets...

Post by Marco »

....and wires for corrosion.

These effects normally come up when you have corroded or split contacts and wires and the current tries to find it£s way through other bulbs and switches.

Check also the fusebox, as it is quite prone to corrosion as well.

Cheers
Marco
xxx
ciaranf

headlamp relay

Post by ciaranf »

your headlamp relay could be faulty causing backfeeds etc. I had the reverse problem of my dip lamps staying on when they were switched off. Also replace all your fuses and clean all you fuse holders then spray them with wd40 to protect them for the winter.
guitarswet

It sounds like a bad earth

Post by guitarswet »

Whenever you get lights doing strange things eg the headlights winking when the indicators are on, it is nearly always an earth problem. All the light units have a single earth wire (on the front lights it is screwed into the back of the headlight recess) and if it has high resistance then the current starts going through other wires (and lights up other lights) instead of down to earth. You must clean up the contact with the metal chasiss and that should cure the problem. Dab a bit of silicone over the contact to stop it happening again.
dave

where`s the relay

Post by dave »

where is the relay situated on the vehicle then for me to change it?