Steering column

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rich.e

Steering column

Post by Rich.e »

Yet another question from me!, Does any one know how to remove the centre shaft from the steering column, The UJ at the base of the shaft was loose when I bought my car, I torqued it up but there was still a little free play, so I assume that the splines have worn a little. Last week I spotted a capri in my local breakers yard, the steering rack was missing, but the column was all in place, I only need the centre shaft,but is it possible to remove the circlip at the base of the column, & slide the shaft out?
My car has P.A.S, but I think the upper section is the same for all cars,some one please let me know before I waste friday afternoon under a dead capri.
Rich.e

more info

Post by Rich.e »

I've managed to get hold of a column from a scrap car, you have to remove the inner & outer sections in one piece, as it's impossible to get to the circlip, at the bottom of the shaft, and if you could remove it, the top bearing is too tightto allow the shaft to pull out (I put the shaft in a vice to remove the top bearing).
I now have a steering column with a 'as new' feel as I have replaced the lower bush & the top bearing, and if any one would like to do the same the part numbers are:- (top bearing 1482571 £7.96, lower bush 1428289 £2.12)