It won't start!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Reeles

It won't start!

Post by Reeles »

Hi,
When I turn the key on my 2.8 (A reg)all I hear is a small ticking sound coming from what sound like the starter solenoid. I have changed the starter twice - no joy. I have tested the wiring and the main feed from the battery gives around 12.5V the spade connector gives about 11.5V and the round plug gives about .6V key turned or not. It is really getting me down as I can't seem to solve the fault and the only thing that is ovious is the Alarm/imobiliser which is a month old, fitted by a Thatcham approved fitter and cost £300! Has anyone had a fault like this and can offer suggestions?

Rob
andrew

have you fixed it yet?

Post by andrew »

Are you the same guy who replied to my query re a 2.8 which will start but not run? If so then thanks for your suggestion. I haven't found any kinked pipes and I'm still stumped on why it won't run.

I haven't been into this site for a while but I noticed that nobody had responded to your problem. I get the impression that this site is great if you can't decide which spoiler best spoils your Capri or you don't know which setting to put the washing machine to for washing your seatcovers..... Perhaps the replies that say 'mine used to do that' at least let you know that you're not alone - they don't help to solve the problem though!

If you are still stuck then some suggestions. By coincidence do the starters all have the same fault? Have you tried hitting the solenoid with a big hammer? (the clicking noise suggests lack of power to the starter - if only one click given out then it's sticking) Have you tried a live feed to the small wire on the solenoid? Have you checked the earth strap to the engine/gearbox? Do any connections heat up when trying to start? Have you tried a live feed to the big cable using a jumplead? Have you tried a jumplead from the chassis to the engine to check the earth?

.....or have you sold it instead?
Rob

Yep it was me

Post by Rob »

I would never sell it! Although I think there is another Rob running about the site now!

I found that due to my ignorance of not testing the batery for amps was the problem! The batery was reading 12V but had pretty much no amp power. I bought a new battery (as the old one was beyond repair) and it started first try!! I also needed more amp hours than before as I am running a large sound system and a Thatcham alarm to knock £500 of my insurance!
Driving Capri's is an adiction and I took it imediatly for a 150 mile round trip to whereever!

As for your fault err....I'm 17 studying motorsport with not a lot of experience yet so I really don't have much of a clue! I'll let you know if I think of something though.

Rob