axle bump stops

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rich.e

axle bump stops

Post by Rich.e »

Is it true that you can't buy axle bump stops from ford? I would like to fit new ones, as the ones in the breakers yards, look worse than the ones on my car, Does any one else make them?
Noel

you're not wrong

Post by Noel »

Nope, Ford don't supply them anymore.

If you want new ones you could buy polyurethane ones made by Superflex et al, but they are rather expensive and are really just fodder for boy racers with more money than sense, as they make sod all difference to the performance or handling of the car. They are pointless.

Don't be frightened of scruffy looking ones from scrappers, even though the metal baseplate usually disintegrates as soon as you look at it, all you need to salvage is the rubber bit. Then cut out a small piece of light guage steel, drill four holes in it and screw the rubber onto your new baseplate with four big self tappers.
guitarswet

I managed to get some...

Post by guitarswet »

from the Capri Club summmer camp this year. One of the spare parts guys had some (brand new Ford) and he let me mhave a pair for £10. So you may want to phone around. I was told that someone makes reproduction ones. I replaced one that was missing - did you know that it is an MOT failure? Unfortunately they are a bit like passenger wing mirrors and battery trays - as rare as hen's teeth and everyone wants them!

Getting them off is not much fun either. I ended up with lots of WD40 and a very large pair of mole grips before the fixing screws finally came loose.
Rich.e

bump stops

Post by Rich.e »

I thought they might be a MOT item, I'll have a phone around to try and locate some, The LH side bump stop is missing from my car, & as you say the screws look a little tight & rusty.
HADRIAN

M.O.T

Post by HADRIAN »

I JUST HAD THE TEST DONE ON MY 2.8 AND IT HAS NO BUMP STOPS ON IT AND IT PASSED OK HE DID MENTION THEM BUT SAID THEY WERE NOT A TEST ITEM SO I DIDNT ARGUE WITH HIM. ALL THE SAME I NEED A SET SO THE HUNT WILL BEGIN
THIS WEEKEND SEE YA!!
Gavin Adamson

Mine Failed!

Post by Gavin Adamson »

One of my Capris failed because one bump stop was missing. I think MOT testers have no clear guidelines for different types of car.
guitarswet

If you have both missing it's OK...

Post by guitarswet »

but if there is only one missing then this is an MOT failure as far as I can tell. It's the same as seatbelts - if they're fitted they must work but if you remove them then it will pass.
Alan Metcalf

Untitled

Post by Alan Metcalf »

ONE of your Capri's - how many do you actually own ?
Alan Metcalf

Untitled

Post by Alan Metcalf »

ONE of your Capri's - how many do you actually own ?
Gavin Adamson

Post by Gavin Adamson »

Gavin Adamson

Well 1 and a half

Post by Gavin Adamson »

Michael

Oh No It's Not!

Post by Michael »

I had a failure with boyh missing. I guess it depends on the tester.

Michael