vv carbs

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dave fulshaw

vv carbs

Post by dave fulshaw »

i have a1600 laser with a vv carb can you get a webber convesion for it if so how much
Scott

Yes, you can.

Post by Scott »

Yes ,you can get a single choke Weber kit (34 ich) for around 150 pounds or so - at least it was when I bought one 10 years ago. I recently bought the same kit for my 2.3 Landrover (56 pounds, believe it or not, and it seems to be the same kit, but no doubt there are subtle differences).

I found running problems due to all the emissions gear (vacuum hoses and pcv valves etc), prevalent in 1600 Capris fitted with the VV carb.The weber carb does not do away with these, unfortunately. In the end, I bought a manifold and twin choke carb(a weber of course) off a 2litre Capri. Much better, and it does away with the aforementioned emissions gear (except one pcv valve).

Try capri club international, Tickover, or one of the many Ford/ Classic car mags (Classic Ford etc).

Hope this is of help.
dave fulshaw

thanks

Post by dave fulshaw »

thanks for info will give it try , dave .
guitarswet

Upgrade to a twin choke

Post by guitarswet »

Swapping your (crap) VV carburettor for a twin choke off a 2lt Capri is a cheap way to get a lot more power out of your car and it is a much better carburettor. But it MUST be rejetted for a 1600 engine otherwise ytou will run way too rich. Get yourself a decent second hand twin choke from one of the spares suppliers on my web page and overhaul it (procedure described in my work section). Then get it set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing. You will of course need the 2lt manifold and new gaskets as well.
Scott

Twin Choke Conversion

Post by Scott »

You can use the jet settings from that of a 1600 'S' Capri, which used the same twin-choke Weber affair as the 2-lite Capri (only jetted differently). A Ford dealer may have the correct jet sizes for this model.

I used a Haynes Carburettor manual , which dealt specifically
with Weber carbs, to obtain the correct jet sizes. (Unfortunately , I haven't got it any more !)

You should also try and get the throttle cable and the bracket which is bolted onto the inlet manifold - the air filter housing box is a bonus too. This makes it a straight swap over.

One thing you need to watch for - the fuel return pipe - some of these webers had them (I think the 2-litres had them , but the 1600S's didn't). It's just a matter of blocking the outlet off with a piece of fuel hose, with a bolt inserted into the end of it, held in place with a jubilee clip. I was lucky , in that mine came with this outlet blanked off from the factory.

I reused the automatic choke, as it worked a lot better than the manual one which came with the 34ich Weber kit !

Of course, use new gaskets all round - crucial.

After all this, the car ran like a dream - I wish I still had it.......