Steering Pulls Left

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
James Madden

Steering Pulls Left

Post by James Madden »

I have a 1986 2.8i with lowered suspension and 15" alloys. The problem I have is that the car is forever trying to pull to the left, to the point where you can corner sharply at speed and easily let go of the wheel without the car straightening up. I am a member of the CCI and know several people who are knowledgeable about matters capri and they have suggested the following reasons for this problem:

* Tyre pressure - I've checked and they're fine

* Tracking - Because the car is lowered it cannot be tracked by people such as ATS, Kwik-fit etc. However, I don't think that this is the problem as tyre wear is not observed and the problem varies at differing revs as well as decreasing with speed.

* Worn steering rack - Dunno

* Mis-centred steering rack - Dunno

* PAS - This is my main candidate as the problem varies depending on revs, plus when I kill the engine, then wheel occassionally turns itself 1/8th turn to the right, as if the left hand pull has just been released.

One friend has suggested that I loosen the front right suspension mounting, turn to full right lock and then re-tighten the mounting, but I'm not convinced.

Can anyone propose which of these is right, or whether they can think of another cause. Help and thanks!!
Noel

rack

Post by Noel »

Sounds like it's definitely the rack, as you say it is dependant upon engine speed (and hence hydraulic pressure) and it does that little trick when you shut the engine off!
guitarswet

Suspension top mounts

Post by guitarswet »

You certainly will pull badly to one side if your top mounts have been tightened wrongly. Try undoing the top mount nuts a few turns (if they are chewed up then buy a couple of new ones from Ford) and drive the car around the block slowly (it won't be very pleasant). When you return bring her to a standstill so that the steering is straight. Then retighten the nuts a bit at a time to around 35 pounds foot. If all is well then finally smack the top of the nut with an old chisel so that it locks against the slot in the threaded section. I have found that doing this cures steering drift but only if your suspension bushes and steering rack are in good shape.