sump drain plug

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dave

sump drain plug

Post by dave »

my sump drain plug is seized and rounded off.i have a 2.0 laser. its also also desperate for an oil change so does anyone have any ideas. a previous owner has put sealant around it too,gallons of the stuff.also whats the first mod you`d do to yuor capri after just purchasing it
Marco

Well, best bet is....

Post by Marco »

....obviously to renew the plug or, even better, the whole oil sump.

As it is, you can also try to have the old oil sucked off at the gas-station. This is also not too bad because the sucking-thing usually ends up at the lowest part of the sump. But remember to drive at least 10 km motorway before so the oil becomes as thin as possible.

Cheerio Marco
xxx
Craig

Oil change

Post by Craig »

Firstly, make sure you allready have your new oil, oil filter and drain plug. Then what i would do is get a pair of mole grips on the old plug, it wont matter if you damage it 'cus you're gonna put a new one on.
Or, you could try getting an old screw driver on it and try and knock it round with a hammer.....
dave

thanx but........

Post by dave »

ok thanks for the advice but how hard would it be to change the sump without engine removal. an idea i had was to drill the side of the sump to release oil, then remove it and replace with a different one complete with drain plug whist changing oil in the process. can someone get back to me on this sump removal please.
Craig

Sump removal

Post by Craig »

Ok, so you wanna remove the sump !!!!
Yes it's easy enough but it does seem like a lot of extra work.
What you would need to do is drain off the oil (I suppose you could drill a hole but it would be rather messy ! but right now other than getting it sucked out i cant think of another way) then , as far as i can remember, all you need to do is undo the bolts that hold the sump on (about 12 bolts i think) then simply replace it with a new one + new gasket.
guitarswet

You must get that plug undone

Post by guitarswet »

Taking the sump off will be much more of a nightmare than working at the drain plug, believe me. I would remove all the silicone sealant with a stanley knife and then use a large pair of mole grips attached very tightly. Try tapping them with a hammer as the shock often frees up the bolt. I'm sure that you will get it off. Make sure you have purchased a new bolt from Ford and when you fit it put some copper grease on the thread. Only use a good fiting socket in the future and this problem will never happen again.

If you really can't get it off I would go t a local garage and ask someone to remove it for you (and do the oil change) Give them the new bolt to use!
Noel

heat

Post by Noel »

give it a blast with a blowlamp before attacking it with the mole grips, the expansion should break the seal and help it shift.
darren

bloody bolt

Post by darren »

you could try a multi wrench from halfords its like a plug spanner with spring loaded bars inside apparently they mould to any shape even rounds might be a cheaper alternertive plus you get the wrench to keep.