Starting/running problems

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Martin

Starting/running problems

Post by Martin »

I recently bought a 1983 MkIII 1600LS (what a superb car - I'd previously been v.keen on minis but I'm now very turned on to the Capri - I mean there's style to it isn't there - much better looking than you're Renault Megane's, Citroen Saxo's etc. - It's actually NICE to look at unlike most other cars - old or new. Anyway I'm getting off the subject, sorry!).

When I bought the car the idle speed was set to >1800 rpm just to keep it from stalling. The idle speed would however vary between maybe 1300 to 2200 rpm (sounded like the auto choke was off at a party somewhere and was too drunk to do any proper fuel regulation!). Obviously this idle speed is miles away from what it should be. So I checked the points and timing. The points gap was too small so I increased it to spec. The timing was about 20 deg advanced from spec so I brought that back in to about 6 deg. With the engine sounding slightly better I have now been able to drop the idle speed to 900 rpm minimum which now seems to regulate between 900 and 2000 rpm. It starts very badly on cold and wet mornings - lacking power, stalling sometimes and feels like its either not firing or lacking compression on more than one cylinder - but once started and run for five minutes or so will run OK. It can take a couple of minutes to start ticking over properly and in that run-up time seems to lose power (and sound 'lumpy') especially when applying revs on the accelerator - ease off on the revs and engine running becomes smoother. During the run-up time the engine may also lose power/momentum completely and stall with or without a foot on the accelerator. When driving (after run-up period) engine seems to rev-limit at about 3200. Engine idle speed seems to change whenever it feels like it!

Does anyone think all these problems are linked?
Is my engine just too old (131,000 miles)?
Do you think the problem(s) is electrical or mechanical?

Any views or ideas on the above problems would be appreciated because i'd love to get this engine running sweetly - it's such a great car to own and drive - even with the engine problems I have.

Many thanks in advance.

Fred
HADRIAN

TRY THESE

Post by HADRIAN »

try checking the carb for any damaged or dislodged pipes especialy the vacume advance pipe check the breather pipes try the diaphrams in the carb see if the carb is sucking in any air from around the gaskets
if it is a standerd vv carb the best thing to do is chuck it in the bin and find a nice weber twin choke at your local breakers around £25-£30 with the manifold good luck hadrian...
ciaranf

I have a similar problem

Post by ciaranf »

My problem is very much similar, and it is my belief that its the auto-choke which ford have never been renound for. I have replaced my entire ignition system, overhauled the carb, my engine timings perfect my engine has 92,000 the only thing I have left to do is replace the auto choke with a maunal one which is going to cost about IR£60. I actually replaced the auto choke and it ran fine for a few hours the started acting up again once warm the car runs fine. But do change the carb those VVs are awful get a twin choke and some power to go with it.
Simon

More tips

Post by Simon »

Your description of the running problems you're having with your Capri sounds exactly like how my 1.6 Laser used to sound and drive. It used to lose power, sound 'lumpy' in the run up, cut out and then drive fine after a few minutes warm up - especially on wet and cold mornings. For me, the problem turned out to be the points and condensor, which I had replaced along with the battery. She now runs a hell of a let better, starting no propblem in the wet or cold and the 'lumpy' sound and cutting out has gone. It might also be worth checking your air and fuel line filters for any blockages or build up of dirt. Not sure if any of these tips relate to your Capri but they seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck!
Martin

Thanks for your help

Post by Martin »

Yeah, cheers for the advice - I've installed a new condenser and am searching for a replacement carb - I'll let you know how I get on.
colin

starting running problems

Post by colin »

check points are not burnt out check ht leads check for any cracks in spark plugs check flywheel is set riqht with timing