Won't Start ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Craig

Won't Start ?

Post by Craig »

Can anyone give me some pointers here because I've been trying to start my 1.6 Capri up for 2 mths now....

It fired up and ran superb until I had to replace the rocker cover gasket and since doing that there's no sign of life.

I'm getting a spark from the coil. I'm also getting a spark at Spark no.1, a weaker one at no.2 and can't see any from 3 & 4.

I've put new points in, new distributor cap and I've tried a different rotor arm and still no joy. In the meantime I'm constantly having to put the battery on charge to stop it dying.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers
Jamie

Won't start

Post by Jamie »

Just a silly idea-are you sure you have put the plug leads onto the dizzy cap in the right order? I think the rotor arm goes anticlockwise. It seems obvious, but maybe it's worth checking.
ciaranf

Plug leads

Post by ciaranf »

You dont mention whether you changed the plug leads, this could be your problem. Anything else you havent replaced in the ignition system should be done also the if make sure your points are set correctly to.
after that check your firing order. it should go 1 3 4 2
Engine
3 dist.
2 2 1
1 4 3

Hope this helps also check the angle of you distributor this can be changed by loosening the 13 bolt where it attaches to the engine block try turning this slightly in each direction while someone turns the car over, only if doing the above fails
Craig

Thanks

Post by Craig »

Ta v.much.

Think I'm going to try replacing the condensor next because I read in the old trusty haynes manual that if you separate the points by hand with the ignition on and you get a spark then it's faulty. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend.

Cheers

Craig