How easy is it to fit white dials...........?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
su bullock

How easy is it to fit white dials...........?

Post by su bullock »

I know they're self-adhesive and the tricky bit is getting them lined up right over the needles etc., but I'm worried about removing the fascia panel and disconnecting speedo cables and things! Is it too big a job for me to handle, bearing in mind that I did remove and fit my thermostat myself and stripped the dis.?
Jamie

Instruments

Post by Jamie »

Taking the instrument panel out is quite easy, but looks a bit frightening. Basically all you need is a philips screwdriver and a 13mm socket. Undo the trim under the steering column, loosen the bolts holding the column up, to drop it a bit. Remove the top column trim, take the screws out of the lower bit of the dash-about 10 of them (remember the end screws). Then take the 3 screws that hold the black, instrument bit of the dash, and carefully pull that out (if you have a radio fitted in the dash, either take the knobs off, or if it is a modern one, pull it out). Now you should be able to see the big screws that hold the instrument cluster in. Undo them, and pull the cluster out slightly. Then reach behind, and disconnect the speedo cable. It is a push fit on the back, but to disconnect, you have to push it in, push a tab on the side, then pull it off. If you can, pull the cluster out a bit more, and take off the multiway plugs. It should now come out, and you can replace the dials. There might be bits I have missed out, but that is the basics off the top of my head.