door speakers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rustyoldford

door speakers

Post by rustyoldford »

I need to upgrade my door speaker as they're very crap.

Anyone know what size they are?

Or what will fit instead?

I sized up 6x9s, but that looks a big no-no without making a mess, and fitting leccy windows.......
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Speakers

Post by SmokeEm »

Standard size is 6x4. Pioneer sell replacements for 50 that sound ok but if you want quality then your gonna need to spend about 150. (Buy the Pioneer's but connect them to a pair of crossovers & use them as mid-bass units 100hz crossover point) Then buy a pair of 1" tweeters & mount them on the dash top of top of the A pillar and wire to the same crossover to come in at 2.5Khz. That would sound much better & you wouldn't have to cut. There are far better ways to get great sound but they usually involve the trusty jigsaw!
rustyoldford

speakers. components etc......

Post by rustyoldford »

Cheers.
I'll look into the pioneer speakers.
Don't want to go adding tweeters to the dash though, I'm going
fot the standard look with this car.

already got components (piddly little 4inchers) in the rear
but i'm goint to possibly fit an MDF shelf and 6x9s for some proper
power. (yes i know I'm contadicting myself here, but a plain grey
carpeted stealth shelf looks better than a saggy cracked
standard one!).

another thing, are there any depth problems when fitting
aftermarket speakers? And do any other more readily available sizes fit in the hole?
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Toys

Post by Matty2148 »

on my last Capri i fitted a universal electric window kit and it was pretty damn good, goto : http://www.microscan-car-alarms.co.uk/start.htm , you find the window kit under accessories, there a few good toys there aswell! the speakers i`m using on the present Laser are 4" JBLS they don`t ruin the door card and sound pretty good if you have 6X9`s for base in the back !
Will-Silver-GL

best bet is...

Post by Will-Silver-GL »

Get some JBL GTO speakers from Halfords for 50 and fit in standard, they are 2 way with a little tweeter built into the unit. Quite bassy for the size and look very nice.
O they are 50 but look around might be able to get them cheaper.

Will
Sean2litre

depth problems

Post by Sean2litre »

indeed. Most normal speakers will foul the window if you mount them flush to the door.
Make some mouldings with three or four concentric pieces of thin MDF (try two circles and an oval), some filler, a little time, some paint and a pilot drill bit (don't forget this or you'll crack the paint screwing the speakers in).
Don't have time to explain in detail or as digital camera, but I'm sure someone can elaborate.
I fitted 6 1/2 " round 2 way Infinitis, but could do 6x9s (only just) and still clear the window winder.
I scrape my knuckles on my window winders, but it's a small price to pay, and it looks as if it was designed in.