How much is my capri worth?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dominik_sanders

How much is my capri worth?

Post by Dominik_sanders »

Dear All,

I have a D reg 1986, Mk3 2L Laser, it has done 121'000 miles. It is in good condition, with only a little rust on the rear wheel arches. I had a new rear axel and wheel bearings all round fitted recently costing 400. It just failed an MOT on a suspension spring, 3 new break hoses and a bit of welding underneath. I am going to get the work done.

When I come round to selling the old girl she will have 11 months MOT left and 5 months tax. There are only a few minor problems with it, like the heater fan not working, a sun cracked dash board, and a slightly worn side of the drivers seat. All the bumpers are still fine, and a couple of small parking dents that came with the car when I got it.

All in all she is a good runner I use her daily. In the time I have had her the 2 mechanics that have looked at her, and driven her, have said the engine is rock solid and the car is in very good mechanical condition. She does smoke a bit on start up but nothing major and doesn't drink much oil at all. I have looked after the car as much as I can, but I am going to University soon and wont be able to keep her running or have any more time or money to spend on her to keep her on top form. Does anyone know how much a car like this is worth? and where would be best to sell it so I can get a good price?

Many Thanks

Dominik
CyrixMK1

Not a lot

Post by CyrixMK1 »

500 tops, seen a few locally in the same/better condition for 400-500.

Sorry
georgezippybungle

Sorry to bear bad news but...

Post by georgezippybungle »

I have been trying to sell a 2.0 laser in similar fairly tidy condition for a month now. It has 3 months tax and 9 months MOT, good bodywork, a couple of minor blemishes though certainly not shabby looking, only faults on mine are only a little rust on the drivers door and usual dash cracking. The rest of the bodywork very good, everything works including heater fan, perfect engine too... all for 550.....!

Not one bugger has even rung up about it! so I may have to go lower but will feel I am giving it away as it all works fine.
I would suggest yours will be worth 550 max, despite the work you have had done, realistically more like 450 as there are a couple of faults as you say, unless you fix them. You just might not get any interest if you ask for more, I have found it a little frustrating. People only want 50 sheds or clean 2.8i's.
I wish you luck selling yours. I have advertised mine here, on Ebay and loot also, will continue to do so.

(07957 480163 if anyone else reads this...hee hee!)
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Don`t want to rub it in

Post by Matty2148 »

But i just bought a 2l laser 86000 on the clock ,7`s rs wheels, very strong engine and box,rust on the rear arch, and a fairly good interior... all from ebay for 180! that said i did see a simlar car locally for 250 so anything under 300 sounds about right..
prairie16v

well i got my 1.6L a year ago this weekend for 250

Post by prairie16v »

with 9 month mot and 3 months tax,
all that was wrong was one rotten wing.
it was advertised at 400 tho and i bashed him down to 250.
Alan280

As someone said, you could fix the...

Post by Alan280 »

few things that are wrong. See my post post below and Peter G's post (Aug 5) about the heater motor. Only cost me a bit of WD40 and the time it took to take out the glove box. If you can find one (scrapyard) a good dash shouldn't cost more than 20-30 notes, but it's finding a good'n, especially grey ones. And a good drivers seat, probably 30 ish again (I have a spare one in my loft). It all depends if you want to spend any more on it, to smarten it up that bit further, with no guarentee still of a sale. Unfortunately these days most Capris (except the top of the range) are money drains rather than investments. It's all for the love of it !

Alan
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: As someone said, you could fix the...

Post by -JC- »

:(

i was ripped off when i got mine then. i was hoping to get near what i paid for it back. and no, im not saying how much i paid, i dont want to luck even more stupid ;)
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
chariryshop

500 not out!

Post by chariryshop »

500 seems a realistic asking price - I recently bought a 1986 2.0 Laser which sounds in similar condition to the one described - she does need a bit of body work and I do intend to do these jobs and get her re-sprayed - her interior sounds the same too - the dash is a common problem I have learned but I am hoping to get it re-covered. I paid 470 for "Esmerelda" - she lasted a 200 mile trip from her last home to mine - all in all I am delighted with her - she is my fun car and has pride of place in my garage. Now I've got her I'm never giving her up and one day I hope to fully restore her.
chariryshop

How much???

Post by chariryshop »

Oh go on - it can't be that bad can it?? - like the guy before said we in it for the love not the money - it's all oil sweat and tears!! Anybody got a 3.0 S for 20??????
johnnalino

well I heard of..

Post by johnnalino »

.. a 3.0 S for sale for 35, but it's parcel shelf was bust, so it was no longer economically viable.
Teasing aside, decent but base models could soon be worth less than the parcel shelves they had fitted.Image
prairie16v

they do make good starting points for Modding tho

Post by prairie16v »

Buying a 1.6 or 2.0 for a couple of hundred quid and sopending a grand on engine handling and brakes and for the price of a hald decent 2.8 you got a sorted capri that'll make you smile,

having said that i blew my grand ages ago and i'm still spending
johnnalino

still spending and

Post by johnnalino »

still smiling!Image
Alan280

That's right, you can't take it with you....

Post by Alan280 »

..the money that is, when you eventually leave this humble bit of spinning rock....err, planet (sorry EARTH !)
breezyrider

No you can't take the money with you.....

Post by breezyrider »

Can't take the car either , which is even sadder. Driving is one of the things I shall miss most when I'm dead. I wont miss money at all.

Alan
breezyrider

500 not out!

Post by breezyrider »

Gill your e.mail has reinforced, nee confirmed my intention to hang on to the family Capri and not sell. It's special to me (if no-one else, it seems lol)and in the final analysis what's a few hundred quid when the stuff slips through my fingers like sand anyway.
Prices stil seem a mite depressed around here. It's keeping the Audi out of the garage but that old girls galvanised & wont rust. These old Capri's in half decent nick deserve to be coddled and cherished.
Am treating ours to a good old Waxoyling soon.

Alan
chariryshop

The car's will still be here after us!!

Post by chariryshop »

I agree.I'll miss driving the old girl but I will leave instructions in my will like people leave money to their cats!
prairie16v

well when you die and you got to heaven take a trip to Car h

Post by prairie16v »

Theres plenty of dead ones to choose from.