Confusion over wiring for starter motor

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Confusion over wiring for starter motor

Post by pbar »

Not sure if you guys know, but an interesting fact is that the originator of this thread is Mark, the owner/creater of the Laser page and forum.

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 am Because, as I said, if you join the wires together, the solenoid willl be permanently in parallel with the coil thus their combined resistance will give a low V on coil when it`s fed via the ballast resistor (potential divider) There`s probably not enough current through the ballast R to actually operate the solenoid, but who knows? They did put 3 terminals for a reason

Yes , your right 🤬😁, I didnt think that thru far enough.
Ha , one of them things where I think I have it sussed , and then the 1st few words from someone else ....and I see I have overlooked something reasonably obvious . 🙂🙂
Nice diagram 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Just for arguments sake, if you were really desperate and, post apocalypse say, it was the only starter motor in the world, you could simply put a 10A Schottky diode in the wire to the coil and then join them? Would cost you about 50p. Simples! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283186713698 ... SwiN9auAI8

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , I was thinking diode ,but it was sounding like a band aid fix to save a bit of face on my part 🙂🙂. It would work in theory but .......well Im thinkin that if you were up shit creek ,trying to fit the wrong starter ( picturing Clarkson ,May and Hamster somewhere in asia ) ,short of robbing one out of your alternator (probly wouldnt work anyway ) , where would you find such a diode 😁?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Don`t know about you but I never leave the house without a couple of diodes and a 7805... You never know! :D :D
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Just take a few bags of cement out of the boot and build a slope everywhere you want to park and bump start it.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Dont laugh Tom , I had a peugeot 404 that had to be parked on a hill . 😁
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Just buy the correct starter!!! :banghead:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 am Just buy the correct starter!!!
Certainly worth considering that option. ;)
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 am Just buy the correct starter!!! :banghead:
Mmmm , sounds easy when you say it like that 😁

I, for one , am sick of parts guys who get way to blasé about the whole thing and dont seem to give a fuck about all the inconvenience their incompetence causes. I just had to make 3 x 60km trips to town to get a pair of head gaskets . I could have got them quicker and cheaper from the UK ( Rimmer bros ) .
Apples24
Car(s): 3.0 ghia

Post by Apples24 »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am Just for arguments sake, if you were really desperate and, post apocalypse say, it was the only starter motor in the world, you could simply put a 10A Schottky diode in the wire to the coil and then join them? Would cost you about 50p. Simples! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283186713698 ... SwiN9auAI8

So out of interest what does that diode do?

But to settle another argument yes I did try joining the two wires together on starter the car cut out on release of the key lol
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Apples24 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:16 pm
stevemarl wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am Just for arguments sake, if you were really desperate and, post apocalypse say, it was the only starter motor in the world, you could simply put a 10A Schottky diode in the wire to the coil and then join them? Would cost you about 50p. Simples! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283186713698 ... SwiN9auAI8

So out of interest what does that diode do?
Looking at that diagram, it seems to 'fast forward' something? :xd:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Basically the diode is a one-way valve: current can flow straight to the coil AND the solenoid when you operate the starter, but the diode stops it flowing BACK from the ballast/coil junction INTO the solenoid during normal running. Without the diode, both solenoid and coil are in parallel during normal running, both powered from the ballast, which would mean a very low voltage on the coil (that`s why as soon as you release the key it cuts out) and an excessive current in the ballast wire which could well burn out.
The 3 terminal solenoid means that all the wires are connected together when the starter goes but circuits are immediately broken when the starter is released, so no need for Diode.
Showing my age, when I was at school, diodes were ACTUAL valves, the glass thermionic type ;)
Imageпроверка мыши онлайн
Apples24

Post by Apples24 »

Oh ok so they are fitted directional, 10A you say for coil system, I’ve learned something new today cheers 👏👏👏👏
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

B+ ?
I'd give it least A- :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Very kind sir !!!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 pm Basically the diode is a one-way valve: current can flow straight to the coil AND the solenoid when you operate the starter, but the diode stops it flowing BACK from the ballast/coil junction INTO the solenoid during normal running. Without the diode, both solenoid and coil are in parallel during normal running, both powered from the ballast, which would mean a very low voltage on the coil (that`s why as soon as you release the key it cuts out) and an excessive current in the ballast wire which could well burn out.
The 3 terminal solenoid means that all the wires are connected together when the starter goes but circuits are immediately broken when the starter is released, so no need for Diode.
Showing my age, when I was at school, diodes were ACTUAL valves, the glass thermionic type ;)
Imageпроверка мыши онлайн
Found in Skoda's ?
Apples24

Post by Apples24 »

10A Schottky Worked a treat !!

Nice one
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That`s really good :D :D - and thanks for the update, an awful lot of stories never get an ending, happy or otherwise!
Apples24

Post by Apples24 »

Yep both wires joined, I didn’t know if it was directional so just soldered it in and hoped for best

Before it cut out on release of key

Handy for anyone googling 👍