v8 conversion kits...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Phoenix_v8

being 21 and in my second year of driving...

Post by Phoenix_v8 »

....means the 3.5 is the only real option open to me. and in 4 years i'll be living state side with my eye on a dodge charger:P

havent got the means or the knowhow to fabricate mounts that will be any good, thats why i was looking for the kit....everything done for you
nathan_v8_capri

Re: v8 conversion kits...

Post by nathan_v8_capri »

hello, i know this thread is well and truly over but just incase anybody reads this that is looking to do a v8 swap on a mk3 capri then this might help with thoughts to witch one.

I have done a rover 3.5 v8 swap on my capri and it took me a year to do as money and arising problems in second hand parts was a issue. i found the car handled better after the conversion ( i set the engine about half inch off the bulkhead so weight was as far back as poss. The shear sound of it is awesome and the power and punch it has was nice for about 2/3 months but now i find it boring and im hunting for more so now im swapping it for a chevy,i have done my homework on this kind of swap and others and chevy is the way for me just wish i never wasted time and a lot of money on the rover rubbish ( i gave it a fresh rebuild with edelbrock carb and inlet and lots of other high name brands) cost me a small fortune but still a semy let down. So as a guy that uses a ford capri with a rover v8 for everyday driving then i would go chevy small block.
vifferdc
Car(s): 1971 Chevy Chevelle
1974 BMW 2002 ti 2.0
1975 Honda CB750 Cafe
1976 Ford "Mercury" Capri 2.8
2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2001 Audi S4

Post by vifferdc »

First time posting to this forum and I wanted to bump this thread.

Has the view on V8s changed over the years? I'm new to the debate. Is the chevy preferred over the ford v8? The research I've done suggest that ford windsor motors practically bolt in.

I have a mk2 and a 302 sitting in my garage so personally I'm leaning towards ford with a t-5 transmission.

I'm in the states so "yank" parts are pretty easy to come by. Has anyone in the forum supercharged a v8 in their capri?
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

I have read this thread with interest, really the only v8 engines i would consider fitting are either
- 32V Ford V8 Cobra engine(like quadcamcapri is doing)
- My off the wall 4.0 Jaguar AJ-V8 conversion :), which could be replaced at a later date with a Supercharged version if i deem 300hp is not enough in a Capri.

Rover V8's are old skool and sound great, many people have been there done that and it is an easy install, i am sure someone would do a kit no problem. But as others have pointed out, there are alot better engines out there. The main thing about the RV8 is it is a lightweight engine so its 170hp goes much further than the less powerful and heavier V6's.

The only reason i am going with a Jaguar V8 engine at the moment is because it hasn't cost me a penny so far. But i need to get a Manual box to fit and make my own flywheel and clutch arrangement and run custom engine management to make it work, which is going to cost a bomb.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Don't worry about it
Jayman
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6
Renault Clio 3
Jaguar XJ

Post by Jayman »

[quote="Will01"][/quote]
I have the 4.0 NA v8 in my jag, what a weapon. I'd love to see one in a capri.
Since I got a capri I've said "over the moon" a lot more than ever before.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Welcome to the forum.
If you Google:
the fat capri
you'll find info on a previously supercharged v8 car. I think fuel economy was an issue.
johnd444wph
Car(s): 2.0laser 86

Post by johnd444wph »

350 all the way carnt wait till I finish mine , I bought a mustang axle which just happend to have alsd fiited when staight under after mooving the leaf pads in 30mm sits flush with the arch with the wheels on it don't see the point in rover if your gona do somthing do it properly!
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

Jayman wrote:
Will01 wrote:
I have the 4.0 NA v8 in my jag, what a weapon. I'd love to see one in a capri.
i can't wait to see it in mine either, but its going to be a big job, clutch and flywheel being the hardest bit
vifferdc
Car(s): 1971 Chevy Chevelle
1974 BMW 2002 ti 2.0
1975 Honda CB750 Cafe
1976 Ford "Mercury" Capri 2.8
2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2001 Audi S4

Post by vifferdc »

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I saw the chop shop capri with its rov8 -- sounded wicked. Didn't care too much for the styling. There's also some guy in Sweden (maybe?) who has been turning his car into a replica interceptor complete with a functioning blower clutch. Looks like the project is stalled (no pun intended).

http://interceptor.joenborg.com/#!home

Saw the fat capri. If you're going to go that big I imagine fuel economy is last on the list.

Unfortunately the 76 I inherited (it was sitting on a Washington DC city street and I "stole" it from a friend for the price of a trailer rental to get it to my garage in Pittsburgh - $160) took a beating from a truck trailer hitch on the front end/hood -- I guess the culprit was in too much a hurry to leave a note. It's beat up for sure but it'll be a fun winter project. And spring, summer, fall, and winter again at the rate I'm going.

I'll post pictures as it develops.. It's pretty rotted so body work is going to be especially time consuming.

Thanks again everyone. Heckuva forum you got here.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I have all but completed my conv ,made engine and g/box mounts , exhausts ( pix if you want ). I chose the rover 3.5 and Toyota 5 speed , mostly for the weight advantage .I cant be arsed getting into chassis strengthening and I don't want 650 pounds (+) over the front wheels.
My 3.5 has 3.9 liners and pistons , a p76 crank ( line bored the mains ) and chev rods and is a mick hair under 5 litres , ported vitesse heads ,eidlebrook performer and holley ( either 465 or 600cfm not sure yet )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Racingbrett
Car(s): 1969 capri 1600gt auto xlr

Post by Racingbrett »

If your going V8 but dont want the weight why not look at the lexus V8 notoriously strong and smooth engine, takes 2 turbos and silly power on stock internals and i believe its all alloy.

for me it would be lexus or keep it as it should have been in the first place with a 302, either way its going to need some custom fab.
Will01
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)

Post by Will01 »

jaguar engine is all alloy, but it still weighs 200kg!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , the lexus would have been a better donk but they looked pretty wide to me . I have got this Rover into crapi with out changing anything on crapi , so the 2l motor can go straight back in ( :roll: uh huh ) , and I couldn't have done that with a lexus , and besides I didn't even think of it till Id spent way more on the rover donk :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh