Cragar wheels!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
sean_capri_3.0s

Cragar wheels!

Post by sean_capri_3.0s »

Has any1 got any pics of a Mk3 with 13 inch cragars on it? Also i've been talking to a dealer and i'll have to have 13x5.5j not 13x7 because american stuff is different in measurement and depth or something like that! is this correct? i don't want them to sit really afr under the arches!

Cheers

Sean
V8kev

American wheels

Post by V8kev »

tend to refer to backspacing as opposed to offset. The backspacing is measured from the mounting face to the "inside rim" of the wheel.

A lot of the American stuff tends to be around 3.75" backspace but i don't know how this equates to offset. (I'm a bit of a thickie!. Might be best to measure an English wheel which fits how you want it, and then measure to see what the backspacing is.

I am sure the other V8 chaps may be more help than me
Chris2300

Try this site.

Post by Chris2300 »

NSRA.org.uk

Anything American/Muscle/Rod orientated there the people.

Worth joining the National Street Rod Assosociation, The shows are good!
interstellar_overdrive

backspacing...

Post by interstellar_overdrive »

From what I know US and UK inches are the same, and a 13x7" wheel is the same as in Europe (that is, 7" being the rim's width, not the overall width).

Problems come with backspace calculation as it seems some calculate it by taking the overall width size while other take the rim's size. I think taking the overall size is the correct way.

In this case, a 13x7" wheel will have an overall width of 8" (as you can add 1 inch edge to edge), backspace would then be 8/2 = 4" if the offset is zero and the mounting face is on the centerline.

If backspace is 3.75" for the same wheel, the offset would be:

1) centerline = (rim width+1) / 2 = 4"

2) offset = backspace - centerline = -0.25" = -6.3mm

(a negative value would enlarge the wheels track)

My actual ET19 (0.748" positive offset) 13x6" RS wheels would have a backspacing of:

backspace = offset + centerline = 0.748 + 3.5 = 4.25"

Though I might be wrong, this is the way I understand it. And I think to avoid bad surprises, it's worth asking the dealer if backspacing was calculated with the overall width or the rim's width...

Links:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/38118/index4.html
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

Eric
jimbo1593

are you sure...

Post by jimbo1593 »

...cragar do 13" wheels?
CapriCrayford3000
Car(s): Capri Crayford 3000 GT XLR

Re: Cragar wheels!

Post by CapriCrayford3000 »

Hiya would anyone happen to know if cragar 4 spokes would fit on a mk1 capri without any modification? I believe they are 5.5 J and possibly 7 J too?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:bruce: :ninja: Not me :burnout:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

CapriCrayford3000 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:02 pm Hiya would anyone happen to know if cragar 4 spokes would fit on a mk1 capri without any modification? I believe they are 5.5 J and possibly 7 J too?
They definitely won't fit if they don't have a PCD of 4x108. Even if that is correct, whether they fit properly or not will probably depend the diameter of the wheels, which you don't mention, and also the offset.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

And check the 4 X 108 properly as a lot of jap cars have 4 X 110 which looks right at a glance ....but won't fit :)
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Not sure whether it's any help but I've just put a set of these Outlaw 2's on a Mark 3 and they fit absolutely perfect, imported them in from the states, as for Cragar wheels I've never seen a set for a four stud Ford, of course the next best thing would be Appliance 4 spokes but sadly they are super rare now and worth a lot of money considering they seemed to be 2 a penny in early eighties

Wayne
Attachments
Screenshot_20191230-180208.png
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

You could always go for a nice set of pepperpots.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mr B wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 pm as for Cragar wheels I've never seen a set for a four stud Ford
You have now.... :D

As seen on markthetart's car.

Andrew.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:09 pm
Mr B wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 pm as for Cragar wheels I've never seen a set for a four stud Ford

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,

I meant these type of Cragar wheels
Attachments
517ZNoqw7tL._SX425_.jpg
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
CapriCrayford3000

Yes those cragars in last pic, but 4 stud. Thx for views!
CapriCrayford3000

Appliance 4 spokes r super cool, but v rare.

Has anyone ever rechromed a set of appliances or similar and how was the result?
CapriCrayford3000

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:09 pm

Andrew.
Looking good!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

CapriCrayford3000 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 pm Yes those cragars in last pic, but 4 stud. Thx for views!
I'd be interested to see that style of 5 spoke wheel with 4 studs
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:17 pm
CapriCrayford3000 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 pm Yes those cragars in last pic, but 4 stud. Thx for views!
I'd be interested to see that style of 5 spoke wheel with 4 studs
It's the style of rim the poster is referring to I believe mate, Appliance 4 spokes are indeed sexy and now very expensive even in relatively poor condition, however be warned, getting car wheels rechromed is virtually impossible to get done in Europe, I do have a set of Appliance wheel's that, to be perfect, need to be rechromed, the only option is to send them to Cal-Chrome in the USA to get done.
I have tried everywhere and as soon as you say car wheel's to the re-chroming company they run a mile, something to do with the chemicals used in removing the old chrome, I can't see how this can be right though as they can do bumper's, motorcycle wheel's etc. Surely the same chemicals must be used in the removal of the old chrome from those items too.....

Wayne
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Not sure but I think it's the cadmium plating that goes on before the copper and chrome . I actually worked for an electro plater for a brief period way back when and I know we used copper and cadmium ( maybe not together ) when chrome plating stuff.....can't really remember....lost most of the 80's.
I think we used to call those 5 spoke chrome's "Estrella's" , and the other 5 spoke alloys are Bathurst globe mags .
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

The thing is it's not that expensive to have wheel's rechromed in the states, in fact when I spoke to the guy from Cal-Chrome he laughed when I said the wheels are 13 inch rims, he called them golf cart rims!

He gave a quote of around 130 dollar's per rim which is a lot less than I expected but of course you have to get the rims out there and back again through customs...

Wayne