Prolblem with my Capri 2.0 pinto

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Prolblem with my Capri 2.0 pinto

Post by Brooksy »

samholmes wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm Thankyou for advice
I totally fed up with it now so i think im selling it with the fault
Its a totally original 58 k 2 owner 1986 2lite laser .Never been welded and never failed a Mot or any advisorys
She lovely inside and out .
I will sell with fault if you know anyone looking for a lovely car who can fix her as im no Mechanic
Sam, sorry to hear you having some troubles but it would be a shame to hastily sell your lovely Soans laser. It doesn't sound like it's a serious issue so could you get it fixed and then consider your options?
Nige Image
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

If I could throw in another thing - and sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs - change only one part at a time so you can eliminate for sure where the fault is/was.

It's incredibly frustrating with faults like this but fortunately our cars are not complicated and hopefully you'll get it sorted soon and without great expense.
samholmes

Post by samholmes »

Cheers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you got any further with this Sam ?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Centrifugal weights in the distributor seizing? Not exactly the symotoms you describe, never heard of a car breaking down from it but can cause a misfire... took bloody ages for me to diagnose that on mine.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you thought of taking it up to someone who has a stock of 2nd hand spares on the shelf such as Martin, Tickover or CCI etc and getting them to substitute 1 item at a time til they find the problem. Im sure they would be willing to help.

It would be far more cost effective than just handing it over to a local garage who would need to order in new parts until they finally hit the nail on the head.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:34 pm Have you got any further with this Sam ?
He's broken down somewhere far from the internet.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.