Unregistered 280

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Unregistered 280

Post by pbar »

I know someone (in the flesh), who has an unregistered 280 Brooklands. But I don't understand, why would a Capri remain unregistered? Would someone have bought it unregistered (if you can even do that) back in the day and simply not registered it for collector's sake, or would it have been a dealer who for some reason never sold it. Just wondering :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Unregistered 280

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes you can buy a new car and not register the car on the road .

Now the question is will it meet Vehicle registration ? https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles

Very interesting then as that would be worth a mint . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I know someone (in the flesh), who has an unregistered 280 Brooklands. But I don't understand, why would a Capri remain unregistered? Would someone have bought it unregistered (if you can even do that) back in the day and simply not registered it for collector's sake, or would it have been a dealer who for some reason never sold it. Just wondering :)
Hi Paul,
I don't understand how you can buy a car without registering it either :headscratch:

According to Dr B, there were/are 3 unregistered 280s in England.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote:I know someone (in the flesh), who has an unregistered 280 Brooklands
Nice one Paul. He probably just wants to keep enjoying it but as Jason said, that's got be worth a fortune.
Jasonmarie wrote:Yes you can buy a new car and not register the car on the road .
Didn't know you could do that, nice way to boost the pension.
andyd wrote: According to Dr B, there were/are 3 unregistered 280s in England.
Now would be as good a time as any to enjoy your speculative purchase, 30 years on :cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
andyd wrote: According to Dr B, there were/are 3 unregistered 280s in England.
Now would be as good a time as any to enjoy your speculative purchase, 30 years on :cheers:
:agree: :drive: I struggle not driving mine over the winter, but 30 years :shock:

Are the cars really that good if not driven in all that time? I presume they get started, moved around and fluid changes occasionally :?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well yes as Rob says what a time to sell but with Andrew I could not have had that sitting there and not drive it ...

I just could not sit there and look at it , as we do a miles thing at the end of the year Iam sure I will have done a few miles .

I love that a few of the members on here have 2 capris and Peter swaps from his summer Capri to his winter Capri that’s so cool .

No I would have to drive it and enjoy it ( sounds harsh really ) but I take my hat of to the fella then thinking ahead and keeping it all this time .
How much would this be worth . O M G I don’t have a clue perhaps Dr B who is on here could give us a figure . :beer:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

It must be like sleeping naked next to Sam Fox every night, and never having a fiddle ........ :whistle:
andyd

Post by andyd »

timfromull wrote:It must be like sleeping naked next to Sam Fox every night, and never having a fiddle ........ :whistle:
:lol: :helpinghand:
Capri gold
Car(s): 1987 2.8 Special (weekend driver)
1971 1600 GT (restoration project)

Post by Capri gold »

Quite incredible what something like this could fetch at auction if there are more than one person who wants it. An Australian Ford Falcon XY GTHO, a model that gained notoriety in the early 70s after Ford campaigned it in Australian motor racing was recently auctioned by Lloyds Classic Car Auctions and sold for 1,030,000 ASD ( 587,100 pounds). This wasn't a race car from back in the day or one with a special history or even an unused unregistered car. Just a well looked after example of the model. :!:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

timfromull wrote:It must be like sleeping naked next to Sam Fox every night, and never having a fiddle ........ :whistle:
I hate to burst your bubble fella but I think you'll find she bats for the 'Other side'....
andyd

Post by andyd »

SmokeEm wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble fella but I think you'll find she bats for the 'Other side'....
Wasn't always the case but she does tend to now......
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Thanks for all the replies, interesting stuff. As regards to the torture of having it but not driving it, the owner also has other Capri's, again they have some provenance, but are driven to some degree so it's not as if the owner is starved of Capri driving. Still not sure I understand how/why a car from the 80's could, or would remain not registered. Or whether it was on purpose, or just left unsold or something and in the years following each owner has decided to keep it that way.

I love driving mine, but if I was to acquire this would I register it and drive it. Don't think I could, surely it 'has' to remain unregistered now rather than spoil it's record/history and stay as a collector's piece.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: I love driving mine, but if I was to acquire this would I register it and drive it. Don't think I could, surely it 'has' to remain unregistered now rather than spoil it's record/history.
:agree: Paul,
Whatever you paid for it if/when it became available, would seriously be affected once registered and or driven....Sad when you think about it :(

Won't be an issue for me :lol: :cheers:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

It probably couldn't be registered now anyway - it would have to pass BIVA and it would probably fail badly due to not being built to todays standards of safety.
andyd

Post by andyd »

SmokeEm wrote:It probably couldn't be registered now anyway - it would have to pass BIVA and it would probably fail badly due to not being built to todays standards of safety.
Good point!!

An expensive paper weight then..... :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry still thinking about Sam Fox and the thought that she joined the other side , perhaps we should have a 2 min silence on the site . :beer:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator

Post by SmokeEm »

andyd wrote:
SmokeEm wrote:It probably couldn't be registered now anyway - it would have to pass BIVA and it would probably fail badly due to not being built to todays standards of safety.
Good point!!

There is a fantastic thread on Retro Rides by a guy that built a V8 Sit up n beg Ford Pop for the road. Took him years! Unfortunately, just before he finished it the new BIVA rules came out and the DVLA refused to register the car without taking the test. The guy bought the book and it took almost another year to modify everything to get get a pass and his dedication was rewarded last week with a clean pass! Was a total nightmare for him though and cost a fortune as he had to have custom glass made as well as a gazillion other items like modded switch gear, lights etc etc. Well worth a read if you are bored at work one day! His user name is BlackPopRacing
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Sorry still thinking about Sam Fox perhaps we should have a 2 min silence on the site . :beer:
A minute for each one :lol:
I used to cut her page 3 pics out of the Sun in the 80's, and stick them in my locker at work :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

SmokeEm wrote:
andyd wrote:
Good point!!

There is a fantastic thread on Retro Rides by a guy that built a V8 Sit up n beg Ford Pop for the road. Took him years! Unfortunately, just before he finished it the new BIVA rules came out and the DVLA refused to register the car without taking the test. The guy bought the book and it took almost another year to modify everything to get get a pass and his dedication was rewarded last week with a clean pass! Was a total nightmare for him though and cost a fortune as he had to have custom glass made as well as a gazillion other items like modded switch gear, lights etc etc. Well worth a read if you are bored at work one day! His user name is BlackPopRacing
I would have been gutted :doh:
Will have a look for it sometime.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Paul,

I know the car and the owner too. I have a recollection that it is a TT conversion but that might be a brain fart.

I don't know if it's gospel, but I heard that the original intended buyer (not the current owner) rejected the car after the bonnet was damaged prior to the car being registered, seemingly after someone closed the bonnet when something bulky had been inadvertently left on the plenum. Apparently he felt the car was sullied and a replacement panel would not cut it.

Then, so it goes, this 280 sat in a dealership for a while before somehow being purchased but never registered. I don't know how you can buy a car but not register it. But it seems to happen. There was that unregistered Mk5 Cortina that sold a few years back with 19 or 90 miles on the clock that had been in a private collection for years but never registered.

I call backroom cash deal on things like this. But I confess I like the sound of a new 30 year old car. Not that you should ever buy this 280 and put it on the road. That would be like throwing banknotes into a fire if you bought it unregistered.

Mike