HEATER REMOVAL

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Alan 7046 Dodd
Car(s): Capri Mk2 1.6 ohc 1975

HEATER REMOVAL

Post by Alan 7046 Dodd »

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I have had my 1975 mk2 1.6 xl since 1979 had a lot of good years enjoying it,but since 1987 it's been of the road,over the years I have been doing bits to it,the engine has been rebuilt,but at the present it needs a respray,all the interior trim,carpet,headlining and vinyl roof,all of which I am sorting out,but what I would like to know, is there an easy way to get the heater out or to loosen the fan off as the heater is not working. Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Alan 7046 Dodd
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: HEATER REMOVAL

Post by Paul G »

Hi there

Heater box removal is straightforward but rather long winded. Starting at the top you need to remove the steering column shroud followed by the instrument fascia. You will then see the screws that attach the heater control assembly to the dashboard - remove them.

Under the bonnet you need to disconnect and plug or join together the two heater hoses that go through the bulkhead just behing the exhaust manifold. Also unscrew and remove the plate that surrounds the heater outlets.

Back inside the car remove the lower dashboard panels (loads of screws) and also the glove box (When open 3 screws along the top plus 2 X 10mm nuts underneath at the back. Careful of the glovebox light wiring - disconnect it). I assume yours being an Xl has the small centre console with a clock in it. Remove the cock then unscrew the console and pull it out of the way.

By now you should be able to see the heater box clearly. There are 4 screws, 2 each side, that i think were 10mm. Remove these and the heater box should put back. Wiggle it down until you can see the fan wiring connections, remove these and you will be able to wiggle the box out, easiest from the passenger side. Be careful to catch any coolant coming out of the matrix pipes - put a cloth or plastic sheet down.

With the box out, before you try to spin the fan spray WD 40 (with the little tube on the tin) the bush on the fan motor shaft nearest the fan itself. This is where they seize. Let it soak for a little while before trying to spin the fan. You only want the shaft to turn, not the bush in its housing. If it is then try to wedge the bush with a small screwdriver then flick the fan round. If the lot keeps spinning and won't free then the motor is toast. If it does spin correctly then put a bit of light oil - 3 in 1 or similar - on it.

I would suggest at this stage you put the heater box back roughly in position, connect the wiring and test if the fan is OK and working on both speeds. If it only works on one speed then the resistor is buggered; they are available from Capri Gear or Steadspeed Engineering.

I'd also suggest you flush out the heater matrix whilst it's all out.

Like I say to everyone who isn't sure how to do a job - get yourself a Haynes manual.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If it's a 75 then it will most likely have the early Smiths heater in it . The later Cars had the BEHR heater which is better for getting parts for.I have replacement motors and resistors for the BEHR unit but I don't have anything for the Smiths unit.
I have just finished building a 1974 MK2 GT for a customer and I replaced the Smiths unit for the BEHR one.
Alan 7046 Dodd

Post by Alan 7046 Dodd »

Thanks to Paul G and Capri gear for their responses to my post,as my Capri is under restoration all the seats and carpet are out,that should help with the heater removal ( extra space)now to pluck up the nerve to start the job.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Alan 7046 Dodd wrote:Thanks to Paul G and Capri gear for their responses to my post,as my Capri is under restoration all the seats and carpet are out,that should help with the heater removal ( extra space)now to pluck up the nerve to start the job.
Hell, if it's that stripped already you should have it out in no time.
My record to remove a heater and replace with a read-prepped new box is 45 minutes start to finish, with a fully assembled car to work in.

Ok, so it was about 20 years ago and I was a tad more supple :D
Alan 7046 Dodd

Post by Alan 7046 Dodd »

Hi, Bug,
Thanks for your reply,yes i'm not as supple as I was,but can still bend a little ( l.o.L ) a bit apprehensive about the job,here these stories of clips breaking,the box not going back together properly etc ,but its got to be done. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks again
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Alan 7046 Dodd wrote:Hi, Bug,
Thanks for your reply,yes i'm not as supple as I was,but can still bend a little ( l.o.L ) a bit apprehensive about the job,here these stories of clips breaking,the box not going back together properly etc ,but its got to be done. Onwards and upwards.

Thanks again
So, I guess you're nowhere near Norfolk, or I could lend a hand?

Use a hairdryer to thoroughly warm the box around all the clipping points and then gently prise each one a little bit at a time, whilst twisting a larger bladed screwdriver (gently!) in the gap between the two halves.
On reassembly make sure all the flaps and levers are free to move easily and are properly located. This is where having a prehensile tail would be most useful ;)

Oh, and by the way, the 4 screws holding the heater in are 11mm (7/16 in old money)
Alan 7046 Dodd

Post by Alan 7046 Dodd »

Hi Bug,
Thanks for your offer of help, funnily enough we were in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago ,having four days in a caravan at the Vauxhall caravan park in Great yarmouth,pity we weren't in touch then,but then again I wouldn't been in the Capri ( dammit ).