Mk3 Tail Light Swap

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cossie_85
Car(s): Ford Capri YBP Cosworth

Mk3 Tail Light Swap

Post by Cossie_85 »

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on how to fit tail lights for my mk3 Capri, appreciate this is fairly novice but I'd rather get it spot on! It's a straight swap from another mk3.

Thanks in advance guys
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Mk3 Tail Light Swap

Post by D366Y »

Cossie_85 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on how to fit tail lights for my mk3 Capri, appreciate this is fairly novice but I'd rather get it spot on! It's a straight swap from another mk3.

Thanks in advance guys
If you are fitting factory-standard lights and have a full unit ready to go straight in it's pretty straight-forward:

Take off outside light coverings (four screws, one in each corner) and set to one side
Lift up the boot and on the inside there are two long screws that are directly behind the light units, unscrew them both and gently tease the light fittings away from the body and then disconnect the wires into the light themselves and fit the new ones in the reverse order basically!

Just make sure when screwing in the light fittings again (the two from inside the boot) that you don't tighten them too much as it can cause the fitting to crack and they are culprits for some electrical gremlins should they crack!

Best of luck :)

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Cossie_85
Car(s): Ford Capri YBP Cosworth

Post by Cossie_85 »

D366Y wrote:
Cossie_85 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance guys
If you are fitting factory-standard lights and have a full unit ready to go straight in it's pretty straight-forward:

Take off outside light coverings (four screws, one in each corner) and set to one side
Lift up the boot and on the inside there are two long screws that are directly behind the light units, unscrew them both and gently tease the light fittings away from the body and then disconnect the wires into the light themselves and fit the new ones in the reverse order basically!

Just make sure when screwing in the light fittings again (the two from inside the boot) that you don't tighten them too much as it can cause the fitting to crack and they are culprits for some electrical gremlins should they crack!

Best of luck :)

Danny

Cheers Danny! Very much appreciated!
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Actually no need to remove the lenses from outside.
Just remove the 2 screws and ease the whole unit rearwards until you can disconnect the wires, then remove completely from the car
If it sticks a bit, simply undo the screws only halfway, then push on them to un-stick the unit from the car, before completely removing the screws as above.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Bug wrote:Actually no need to remove the lenses from outside.
Just remove the 2 screws and ease the whole unit rearwards until you can disconnect the wires, then remove completely from the car
If it sticks a bit, simply undo the screws only halfway, then push on them to un-stick the unit from the car, before completely removing the screws as above.
+1 this. Unless you are changing the lenses or the bulbs there's no real reason to unscrew the 4 screws that hold them on, only the 2 screws per side in the boot hold the light units on the car itself.