Wiper Blades - Correct Sizes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Wiper Blades - Correct Sizes

Post by pbar »

Can someone confirm the standard wiper blade sizes. I always thought that both fronts were 15" and the rear 18". Yet on my car the driver's is 16" and the passenger 15", which corresponds to what Tickover sell -

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Wiper Blades - Correct Sizes

Post by stevemarl »

As I understand it 15" is correct both sides? If you go any longer it just goes off the screen due to the curvature doesn`t it?
18 is correct at back.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve. The 16" on my driver's side has always been fine, but I've only just measured it out of curiousity. Most places seem to stock 15" pairs for the front, just curious as to why Tickover also states 16" for the driver's.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

TBH, never seen that before; Eurocarparts only sell 15s - except for a Denso one of 13" !!! I`d just want the symmetry of identical sizes myself (though I`m aware that is bordering on OCD... :lol: )
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I just want correctness, standardisation and originality. So I shall join in with your OCD :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Are the Euro Car Parts ones ok? I was looking at the Halfords ones but they're a whopping £15 for a pair.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Can`t remember what make they were (which is worrying - given my gene pool :lol: ) but they were well known. I think you can get Bosch ones on Amazon for £3-5 ?

edit: I`ll only get these from Amazon as I worry about counterfeit stuff on ebay, trust Amazon more.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-SP15-Supe ... 5%22+wiper
Last edited by stevemarl on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote:Can`t remember what make they were (which is worrying - given my gene pool :lol: )
Couldn't help but chuckle at that :) Thank you Steve, will look at the Bosch ones also.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just in case you missed my edit, they are £3 each from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-SP15-Supe ... 5%22+wiper

Just realised these are `add-on` items, you need to buy a larger thing to be able to purchase. How about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SP15-BOSCH-WI ... 541b2acc6d
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: (though I`m aware that is bordering on OCD... :lol: )
Not at all , I think that if there is one of something on each side they should be the same , look the same , be adjusted the same. One of my pet hates is vehicles with twin exhausts that are uneven . I have a Motoguzzi V twin m/cycle with one pot out each side and one cylinder is ahead of the other by the width of a con rod .........drives me nuts :roll:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Well I just want correctness, standardisation and originality.
Hi Paul.

I don't know if you recall mate but I bought a set of the Halfords blades. Both the front were indeed 15". I looked at the Bosch ones too but the Halfords ones actually looked more like the original ones I had so I decided against the Bosch ones. I am very happy with the Halfords ones. I had to use them a couple of weeks ago when I went to the RSFFE breakfast meet and I was very impressed with them I must say. They did indeed keep the windscreen perfectly clear when the rain came down (to my horror :lol: ).

The 15" drivers side blade fits just perfect on the windscreen mate. Just fits spot on with the curve of the screen

I agree with you that the Halfords ones are not cheap at £7.49 each but I would recommend them mate. Easy to fit too or you could even get the Halfords fitting guys to fit them for you mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
I don't know if you recall mate but I bought a set of the Halfords blades.
Hi Nick, yes I did remember and I looked up that old thread to re-read it again. I was just going to get the Halfords ones on your previous recommendation, it was only when I was comparing costs that I held back :) Although with the extra info you've given Nick, especially that they look more original, I am leaning towards them.
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

Special thanks to the person who posted this as it just so happens that ive brought a set of new wiper blades from GSF car parts in Birmingham. as my old ones were the original ones from 1986 well at least the front 2 were which had deteriorated badly splitting etc. the new ones i brought are the wrong sizes even though they said there for my model of capri. the front 2 are to long and the rear is to short, front 2 are bosch and the rear is denso. i can't remember the sizes off the top of my head but im going to take them back with the old blades to get them exchanged for the correct ones. i paid 16 quid for the new set and i now know the correct sizes for the wiper blades for a mk3 capri so i can get the correct ones next time thanks. :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hi Dan, I'm pleased that this thread was of some help to you. If you have a look on the net, the price of quality wipers is really good. For example these are Bosch and correct for the Capri front I believe -

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/bosch-sp15 ... per-blade/
pbar

Post by pbar »

If anyone wants a Bosch rear wiper, they are only £3.12 here, free delivery -

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/F ... 6cc&000604
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

dan the capri fan wrote: Ii now know the correct sizes for the wiper blades for a mk3 capri so i can get the correct ones next time thanks. :D
Hi Dan,
With the greatest of respect, you could have simply measured the old wiper blades before buying the new ones. It would have saved having to go back to GSF to exchange them.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:...you could have simply measured the old wiper blades before buying the new ones.
He may have had non standard sizes on though, like I had. Although Dan did say that his wipers are original, that may be unlikely given the age of our cars.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I went for Bosch ones, front and back, mainly due to cost as well as the fact that they are Bosch. Cost around £14 for all three including postage. Codes are SP15 (front) and SP18 (rear), very happy with them.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Thing to check is that after they have parked, the drivers wiper clears the top of the last sweep of the passenger side so that you don't get that dribble running down the middle of the screen.
bordering on OCD
N.B. Always make sure your eggs are installed the correct way in the 1/2 dozen eggbox :!:

My GF mentioned the other day that she'd been reading up on the autistic spectrum, no idea why...