Universal swirl pot location

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
cabaret
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0i
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

Universal swirl pot location

Post by cabaret »

With a universal swirlpot does it matter where its located? Can it be under the bonnet?

Reason is some of you may know but others may not, My capri does a lot of long distance journeys.

Its next Voyage may be Denmark, To keep costs low i run her on LPG and have done for years no probs

Well lets cut to it, the fuel tank is only used to start the car, Otherwise i never run on petrol so im going to def the 2.8 tank off andcut the boot floor out and lower it slightly to make room for a bigger LPG tank. My mate is gonna make me a small stainless fuel tank to hold only a few gallons to start the car on, but i wont be able to use the 2.8 swirl pot, so im gonna need to mount the universal somewhere and i dont want it in the boot
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the chosen one The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroadworthy! Im hotter than a rollin dice. Step right up, chum and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: Universal swirl pot location

Post by Noel »

Swirl pot in 2.8i tank is there to help in providing consistant and air-free head of fuel to the pump.
So any alternative pot will need to be mounted somewhere so that its plumbed in before the fuel pump, and I think, above it so that the pump doesn't have to lift fuel.

Mind you if you are going really off-piste with this and aren't using the standard pump then its all just a matter of what your replacement fuel pump requires.
cabaret
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

Post by cabaret »

So technically a swirlpot could be mounted under the bonnet on the fuel line from the tank, Then from the pot to the pump then to the fuel rail. Sweet
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the chosen one The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroadworthy! Im hotter than a rollin dice. Step right up, chum and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Why not have it built into the tank?
On my veg oil tanks I've just put a box around the take-off for the main supply line with a couple of small holes in suitable positions. Maybe your mate could replicate the original design in stainless.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

have the tank made with a slope on the bottom towards the outlet feed and if its only used for start up why bother with a swirl pot?
:spam:
cabaret
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

Post by cabaret »

Craigorypeck That is probably the smartest thing i've heard all day

Your completely right, I guess ive been thinking into it too much again!