I was wondering....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

I was wondering....

Post by andyd »

Why I am now paying more to insure a Sierra 1.6 than I was a Capri 2.8 a year ago :headscratch: I even asked my old insurer and they couldn't really give me an answer.

Then I found this today, and judging by the way some a******s (especially the Sierra @ 5.45) drive, I think I know why? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dSnDdJApM

I've been saying it for years, that sooner or later a few rotten apples will ruin it for everyone!

This has confirmed I really have had enough of meets, so classic shows only for me from now on :cheers:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: I was wondering....

Post by pbar »

'Why' is a very good question Andy when we are given insurance figures! It was explained to me once that there are lots of factors which affect it. For example if you have a red car and an abnormal amount of red cars in your area have had claims then yours may go up. Similar with the model and/or make of the car, the type of person (male/female age) driving it, and so on. I guess that if the insurer has just 1 or 2 other Sierra's for example and they had claims then you would be a high risk, that sort of thing. All depends on what has happened over the course of the year in your area so I am led to believe. The days of reduced premiums each year due to not claiming seem to have vanished at some point.

What I would say though, is forget the online sites option, the old school way of simply phoning them up and asking them to drop the premium by £50 (or whatever figure you are aiming for) works for me, don't think I've had a year where any insurer has refused to negotiate. Even if you save £20 during a 20 minute phone call, that means you are earning £60 an hour, not bad. And if you found £20 in the street you'd think it was your lucky month, you'd certainly stop and pick it up :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:15 pm 'Why' is a very good question Andy when we are given insurance figures! It was explained to me once that there are lots of factors which affect it. For example if you have a red car and an abnormal amount of red cars in your area have had claims then yours may go up.
That's so absurd it probably is true Paul.

Like most insurances just a big rip off at the end of the day :spank:
pbar

Post by pbar »

The system really does need a complete and absolute overhaul.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Simple really.
You're being penalised for driving a jelly-mold when you could be in a Capri !
A big life lesson right there my friend. :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Bug wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 pm Simple really.
You're being penalised for driving a jelly-mold when you could be in a Capri !
A big life lesson right there my friend. :D
:D

In theory, now I have half the power it should = Cheaper Insurance :cool:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

The fishtailing Sierra with the mid digit flicked to the Citroen is not a good look. Well done 'Barry'.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Noel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am The fishtailing Sierra with the mid digit flicked to the Citroen is not a good look. Well done 'Barry'.
If you are going to blur out the plates of those idiots at least make sure you cover them in other videos too.

I couldn't care less about the occupants and hopefully thet get caught, I feel sorry for the car and other innocent road users!
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Car insurance is a licence to print money. Do this mental test with your friends and family:

How many drivers do you know? Between workmates, family and friends, it's probably quite a lot. Now in your entire life, how many of them have wrecked a car? A few, certainly. Now out of them, who has been seriously, life-changingly injured or killed? I know one killed in my life, my mate Adam.

Oh actually I also met a man down the pub last month who had a permanent limp from a car accident, so we'll say two.

So in my whole life, so far, I only have experienced the loss of one person in a car crash and known one with permenant injuries. So we can say it is mercifully rare. Very rare. Cars today are safer than they ever have been. Insurance should be going down, not up. It's a huge scam making billions out of thin air for an event that will almost certainly never happen. And why should you be punished for somebody else's mistake? It kind of makes logical sense to a point, fast cars go faster, young people are less experienced (although none of us have killed ourselves or somebody else), but it's ludicrous the amount we pay for these flimsy reasons, even with 20 years of no claims the price for some vehicles is often ridiculous, and it basically just makes someone extremely rich.

And we put up with it for some reason. If the nation's motorists all wrote to their insurance companies and threatened to cancel their policies unless the fees were lowered, they would lower them. We have a lot of clout as customers that we never unite and exploit.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:12 am The fishtailing Sierra with the mid digit flicked to the Citroen is not a good look. Well done 'Barry'.
Yes I love giving the motor a good thrashing, but that was dashed ungentlemanly.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:49 pm Then I found this today, and judging by the way some a******s (especially the Sierra @ 5.45) drive, I think I know why?
Sierra drivers eh?.... :lol:
That particular one must have been late for their tea! :D

Andrew.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

I’m a Sierra man too but it’s minuscule compared with others I’ve seen other makes/models.
To keep to the insurance theme, I would like to share a possible reason.
My wife had a Mini Cooper S conv. 2013. I traded it in for a jag F-type conv. 3.0S sc recently. When I asked the AA (insurer) to change the vehicle and let me know what increase there was in premium, the fella quoted me 500 quid on top of the 150 she’ d already paid for the year.
When I asked why such a ludicrous amount, the usual shite came out. So I said well for that reason I am out.

Then he said oh it may be they are using a different underwriter, so let me see if I can cancel it then draw it up as a new policy.
So I said ok.
When he came back, I had to cancel, then re-insure the F type. The difference was £170. I paid it by debit card….

It just shows, that you have to check these things!
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Ive seen this footage via a link from facebook. Most people who watched it via facebook were in support of the sierra driver. Needless to say the social media craze supports this sort of behaviour. Personally i think its tragic.
andyd

Post by andyd »

A17 LTF wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm Ive seen this footage via a link from facebook. Most people who watched it via facebook were in support of the sierra driver. Needless to say the social media craze supports this sort of behaviour. Personally i think its tragic.
The ones that condone that sort of driving, sums up the mentality of many of those that attend these meets :roll:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I wonder if there will ever come a time when show organisers won't want to bother? With all the negative publicity, concerns from the Police and complaints from neighbouring residents, it must be difficult these days to even get the local council to agree to the show.

Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Tbf, that citroen van pulled out so slowly, for a sec i was worried that the driver had passed out or something. I'd have overtaken too, would be dangerous to be stuck too close to someone like that. I'd not have given the finger though
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 pm Tbf, that citroen van pulled out so slowly, for a sec i was worried that the driver had passed out or something.
It looks like a normal non-knobhead getaway, in my opinion. If you think that's slow, I'd hate for you to be stuck behind me ! :D

Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Ah but at least you have a nice rear to look at so it wouldn't be so bad! :lol:
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."