Capri Among The Best....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Deep Orange Fiesta ST Performance Edition

Capri Among The Best....

Post by mjcapri » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 pm

But it’s got to be a V6 apparently! :shock:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... 2021/43835

Any alternative nominations at the various price points?

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 7064
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by Peter-S » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm

I'm a bit surprised that there is no Escort in there at all but, Capri aside, they've gone relatively new. No doubt newer tech is better but they don't appeal so much to me. Lotus Cortina or is that not really Ford?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by stevemarl » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Peter-S wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm
Lotus Cortina or is that not really Ford?
100% in my eyes!

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by Mc Tool » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Who made the lotus twinc motor , Im sure Colin Chapman didnt .
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4677
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by stevemarl » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:17 pm

It was the Kent block with a lotus head.

mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Deep Orange Fiesta ST Performance Edition

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by mjcapri » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:10 am

Peter-S wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm
I'm a bit surprised that there is no Escort in there at all but, Capri aside, they've gone relatively new. No doubt newer tech is better but they don't appeal so much to me. Lotus Cortina or is that not really Ford?
I think they’ve focused heavily on performance and driving dynamics which is why the older models have largely been left out, including all Escorts (who would have believed it!). It’s good to see the Capri and Sierra Cosworth there though.

The Lotus Cortina is definitely a Ford, too slow I suspect for PH though!

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by Mc Tool » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:05 pm

stevemarl wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:17 pm
It was the Kent block with a lotus head.
Well duh 😀 I knew that much . I have since found out that it was Ken Duckworth who was given the job of designing the head , which had several versions over time , dunno who cast and machined it . I recall there was a similar thing with the ( Jason 😀) glorious pinto engine , I think it was a warrior 4 valve twin cam head made for the pinto engine .
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:55 am

I must say they are dissappearing fast now aren't they, there's a lot of crap around for silly money. Doesn't matter what you buy whether it's 2k or 10k, they all need a 20k restoration and that's a Conservative estimate to make show quality. I'd it was my I'd but a tatty body with all the right parts at the lower end rather than one at 10k that has been tarted up but holds the same horrors. A set of wheels to refurb for instance is £300 whether they are fitted to the 2k wreck or the 10k cloak and dagger. Same as bodywork, providing there is the basis to weld, then panels are panels, same once they are cut out and replaced with second hand or express steel.

mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Deep Orange Fiesta ST Performance Edition

Re: Capri Among The Best....

Post by mjcapri » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:19 pm

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:55 am
I must say they are dissappearing fast now aren't they, there's a lot of crap around for silly money. Doesn't matter what you buy whether it's 2k or 10k, they all need a 20k restoration and that's a Conservative estimate to make show quality. I'd it was my I'd but a tatty body with all the right parts at the lower end rather than one at 10k that has been tarted up but holds the same horrors. A set of wheels to refurb for instance is £300 whether they are fitted to the 2k wreck or the 10k cloak and dagger. Same as bodywork, providing there is the basis to weld, then panels are panels, same once they are cut out and replaced with second hand or express steel.
This is the problem I had when I last looked at buying one. It was a low mileage early 2.8i with one owner from new, so an attractive proposition. But, on close inspection there were several (albeit small) bubbles across the bodywork. I worked back from the asking price, taking into account likely body repair costs (too busy to do it myself realistically) and a high quality respray and what I was willing to pay was too far off to make a discussion worthwhile. To the seller these were minor cosmetic blemishes that would take a couple of hundred quid to sort, but I know Capris! I could probably have bought it and left it as-was for a couple of years but it felt like the kind of thing would catch up with it (and my wallet) eventually so that was that. Anyway I have enough misery sweeping up pieces of Sierra off the garage floor!

Post Reply