new record for destroying a cam?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: new record for destroying a cam?

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am Are you using 20/50 oil by any chance Danny, I'd be very wary if so, especially in this cold weather as it becomes more treacle like and may not work its way into the necessary nooks and crannies, until it warms up but of course there may be wear on components until then so it may not be worth chancing it.

It is interesting to note that Ford would invalidate camshaft warranty if anything other than 10/40 is used.
I had 10/40 in it and only recently made the decision on 20/50 with the GL, haven't put that in the Laser yet

Interesting point about the warranty though, I didn't know that!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

:cool: Your posts about your cars and your attitude continue to be amongst the most interesting and admirable on the forum. Good luck with your cars Danny.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am
It is interesting to note that Ford would invalidate camshaft warranty if anything other than 10/40 is used.
I wonder how they would know. Did they send samples off for analysis if you tried to make a claim? And warranty claims would likely fail anyway unless Ford did the work in the first place so you would like to think they used the right oil.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:04 am :cool: Your posts about your cars and your attitude continue to be amongst the most interesting and admirable on the forum. Good luck with your cars Danny.
Cheers Paul :) :cheers:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:24 am I wonder how they would know. Did they send samples off for analysi
To be fair, they would only need a viscosity cup, of the kind used to check viscosity of paint? Just to back up what Paul said, I do remember back in the late `70s, the camshaft was notorious for failure, every other Mk3 Cortina had the characteristic hard knocking - it was as legendary as BL subframes! I remember stuff in the press about this at the time (about 1980?) Ford claimed it was mostly due to poor maintenance (of course), but did make 3 main changes: oil filters MUST have non-return valves to prevent drain back to sump; 10W40 oil must be used so that it got to top of the engine quicker; there was also some increased hardening done to camshafts. It did work, as you never heard late `tinas or Sierras with knocking cams.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am Are you using 20/50 oil by any chance Danny, I'd be very wary if so, especially in this cold weather as it becomes more treacle like and may not work its way into the necessary nooks and crannies, until it warms up but of course there may be wear on components until then so it may not be worth chancing it.

:agree: It's in the Ford owner's handbook so I don't think they would advise people to put the wrong oil in it.

Personally I think there is too much blah about this oil or that oil.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Not at all. A friend bought the full cam kit from Kent cams against my advice and flatten a lobe within 20 mins. A blocked spray bar supplied with the kit was the Brocken. Blocked by a piece of swarf from the manufacture. By the time he run it in he’d run it out. A well known “****** performance parts” refused to pay out.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Terra-Kotta wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm Not at all. A friend bought the full cam kit from Kent cams against my advice and flatten a lobe within 20 mins. A blocked spray bar supplied with the kit was the Brocken. Blocked by a piece of swarf from the manufacture. By the time he run it in he’d run it out. A well known “****** performance parts” refused to pay out.
Glyn is back! It must be a full moon :lol:

That is quite impressive to destroy a lobe within 20minutes though