new record for destroying a cam?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

new record for destroying a cam?

Post by D366Y »

So! After several months in the garage the Laser comes home today. Engine largely rebuilt, head converted to unleaded, loads of oil seals replaced etc. and included in that list is a new cam... I had a 2.0 cam put in my 1.6 engine along with a 32/36 carb about 2-3years ago, and when stripping the engine and rebuilding it they said that it is "fucked beyond repair or use" which apparently may have contributed to the many problems it has thrown up over the years :lol:

They have put a 1.6 cam back in it so time will tell if my (apparently very) heavy right foot can beat this one too :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: new record for destroying a cam?

Post by stevemarl »

Did you have new followers with the first / this cam, as putting a new cam in with worn followers will shorten its life, they need to `bed-in` together?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I did - when the cam went in it had fresh followers at the same time, and has had new followers since as well!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Fitting a 2l cam shouldnt pose any problems . Depending on how long it lasted Id be checking the lubrication . Were all the lobes shot or just a few ?, new/clean spray bar ? Were the bearing journals ok . Cam bearings can wear quite quickly , specially the middle one . I always go for oil with zinc additive ( some penrite oils already have about double the amount of zinc other additives add ) . Flat tappet cams/followers need a bit of zinc.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Glad the laser is back :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:56 pm Fitting a 2l cam shouldnt pose any problems . Depending on how long it lasted Id be checking the lubrication . Were all the lobes shot or just a few ?, new/clean spray bar ? Were the bearing journals ok . Cam bearings can wear quite quickly , specially the middle one . I always go for oil with zinc additive ( some penrite oils already have about double the amount of zinc other additives add ) . Flat tappet cams/followers need a bit of zinc.
:agree:

Penrite 20/50 - HDR30 as it used to be known is seriously good oil, Essex V6 engines love the stuff, currently running it in a 3.4 Essex with some nice go faster goodies on it and no issue's at all, saying that 20/50 Valvoline VR1 is top notch as well, just not sure that it has as much zinc as the Penrite oil.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I read on the net ,someone did a big test on oils and amsoil synth is "the best "oil,and castrol titanium edge synth is 2nd best . A lot of penrite is synthetic in that its molecular structure is altered from normal base oil by hydrocracking ,which technically is synthic , but not as synthetic as amsoil or castrol titanium edge . The castrol is ½ as much again as the penrite hpr 30 ( 5/40 for the Blade and 10 /40 for the caldina ) so I tend to walk right past that
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:16 am
Mc Tool wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:56 pm Fitting a 2l cam shouldnt pose any problems . Depending on how long it lasted Id be checking the lubrication . Were all the lobes shot or just a few ?, new/clean spray bar ? Were the bearing journals ok . Cam bearings can wear quite quickly , specially the middle one . I always go for oil with zinc additive ( some penrite oils already have about double the amount of zinc other additives add ) . Flat tappet cams/followers need a bit of zinc.

Penrite 20/50 - HDR30 as it used to be known is seriously good oil, Essex V6 engines love the stuff, currently running it in a 3.4 Essex with some nice go faster goodies on it and no issue's at all, saying that 20/50 Valvoline VR1 is top notch as well, just not sure that it has as much zinc as the Penrite oil.

Wayne
I have no idea about the rest of that stuff Hamish - I didn't ask to be honest, I just let them do it

I do have Valvoline 20/50 in it now though so hopefully will be better moving forward....
Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:47 pm Glad the laser is back :cool:
Cheers Jason, as am I! It's been away for almost six months!!
Now I just have to sort all the wiring problems with the radio, clock, interior lights, washer jets, rev counter.... :roll: :lol:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Wayne
The Penrite oil is actually HPR 30 and is 20w60 not as I said above - think I had one two many beers last night! :beer:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I can sympathise as I managed to destroy a cam and followers in 10 miles flat in a 2.1 pinto i had just rebuilt for a kit car. It turned out the new sump gasket i used was marginally thinner than the one that had been on there which was just enough to narrow the gap between the shortened oil pickup and the bottom of the shortened sump severely restricting oil flow. Strangely nothing else was damaged and Kent Cams agreed to send me a 2nd replacement cam and followers at a reduced price and it was quickly rebuilt,again.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

D366Y wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am
Now I just have to sort all the wiring problems with the radio, clock, interior lights, washer jets, rev counter.... :roll: :lol:
I've just realised - these are all on fuse 1! (apart from the rev counter obvs) so hopefully this will be a quick fix haha
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 am I can sympathise as I managed to destroy a cam and followers in 10 miles flat in a 2.1 pinto i had just rebuilt for a kit car. It turned out the new sump gasket i used was marginally thinner than the one that had been on there which was just enough to narrow the gap between the shortened oil pickup and the bottom of the shortened sump severely restricting oil flow. Strangely nothing else was damaged and Kent Cams agreed to send me a 2nd replacement cam and followers at a reduced price and it was quickly rebuilt,again.
That beats my record then :lol:
Fair play to Kent Cams for sending another one to you at reduced price
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

D366Y wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 am
I've just realised - these are all on fuse 1! (apart from the rev counter obvs) so hopefully this will be a quick fix haha
One new fuse later - all back working (save the rev counter) but the boot lock isn't turning now so it's managed to develop another fault while sat still :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I was just about to say that :lol: :lol: I see on dads U.K. your dad did a good job with the bathroom :cool: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Mr B wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 am

Wayne
The Penrite oil is actually HPR 30 and is 20w60 not as I said above - think I had one two many beers last night! :beer:

Wayne
Ha , I got it wrong too , the stuff Im using in the Blade is hpr 5 5/40 xtra 10 full synth . That bloody toyo holds 6.8l, that and a fliter and Im out $125 .
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 pm
I was just about to say that :lol: :lol: I see on dads U.K. your dad did a good job with the bathroom :cool: :lol: :lol:
Haha thanks, that bathroom was a bloody nightmare - had to move out to do it and it's taken two full weeks and I only stayed there for the first time since January on Tuesday!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hey Danny. Great news you got your Pinto back mate. Did not realise you were without it for so long but knew you were getting some stuff done and sounds like some really great modifications. Great move to get the unleaded done. No brainer with the head off etc. Can't wait to catch up and see it mate. Nice one. :)

Ps The bathroom tiles look great fella. What a stunning job. Just one thing mate don't get them wet !!! :wave: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Going back to the original topic, if the cam isn't lubed properly and/or the oil system primed before start up of an engine rebuild, the time taken to destroy a cam is measured in minutes rather than years. It's been done (not by me) so that would be the record.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

340truck wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:00 pm Going back to the original topic, if the cam isn't lubed properly and/or the oil system primed before start up of an engine rebuild, the time taken to destroy a cam is measured in minutes rather than years. It's been done (not by me) so that would be the record.

This is good stuff for breaking a cam in
Engine-Assembly-Grease-Driven.jpg
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Are you using 20/50 oil by any chance Danny, I'd be very wary if so, especially in this cold weather as it becomes more treacle like and may not work its way into the necessary nooks and crannies, until it warms up but of course there may be wear on components until then so it may not be worth chancing it.

It is interesting to note that Ford would invalidate camshaft warranty if anything other than 10/40 is used.