Worrying times ahead...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Worrying times ahead...

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Seen this short report on bbc news today and things are moving faster than expected.... The vey last comment is the most worrying.... although am sure this will have flexibility nearer the time. Don't think we will wake up the next day and that's it folks !!!!

https://youtu.be/ceWQI_gmFn4
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Worrying times ahead...

Post by Peter-S »

It is a concern Nick although with my few extra years on you I might more or less get away with it. After all I'll be nearly 70 when the new proposed date banning the sale of petrol/diesel cars kicks in. I'd think they must allow a good few years for old vehicles to still be used but I can see a gradual ban on non electric cars in city centres that will slowly expand to other areas or there will be hefty pollution charges. Time moves on I guess but none of it thrills me to think about.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I watched a news item on TV this morning about this, it suggested that by 2030 non electric cars will pretty much be museum pieces. Makes you wonder if we should go to any great lengths when doing jobs on our cars, why bother, may as well just bodge it to keep going and drive them to death if we only have 9 and a bit years to drive them anyway!

The only saving grace, if this is true that is, is that I've heard that the classic car hobby is rife in Parliament (perhaps why there is free tax and no MOT on old cars?), meaning the powers that be would have some appeasement for us.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I say let’s drive our classics around London naked with big flags saying “ keep the pintos and ban the rest “
And playing the Dam-Busters music

Let’s have a poll and see who is up for this , Noel don’t worry as I know this is a normal weekend thing for you so that’s two of us 👍👍👍
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

pbar wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:04 pm
The only saving grace, if this is true that is, is that I've heard that the classic car hobby is rife in Parliament (perhaps why there is free tax and no MOT on old cars?), meaning the powers that be would have some appeasement for us.
Yes the poshos love their cars. Good old poshos!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I love how they bang on about carbon neutrality whilst supporting a colossal international manufacturing industry.
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

But the news report is stating the ban on FF vehicle sales. It's not saying FF is not going exist. Petrol will be around for decades
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Think of the tax they will lose on the prices at pumps :spank: They may well increase the price per litre to make it less appealing?
As mentoned above, certain 'poshos' have an interest in classic cars so that will slow down any of this nonsese!

Sooner my V8 gets here the better :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Well, the absolute worst case scenario is that we've got another 10 years to enjoy our cars.....

I'd be absolutely amazed if petrol is not available for some years after 2030, I'm sure we'll have plenty more years left after that. Yes, the price of it will skyrocket, but that's to be expected.

At the moment, the Government has made the tax situation of electric cars advantageous because they want everybody to buy one. Once the revenue from tax on fossil fuels has dwindled as a result, they will have to increase tax on the purchase or running of electric cars to compensate, so we'll be no better off financially. Either that or introduce a new tax on something else. A tax on enjoyment or fun, perhaps? :lol:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:26 am Well, the absolute worst case scenario is that we've got another 10 years to enjoy our cars.....

Hi Andrew :wave:

I think this year has taught us that no one knows what's around the corner let alone 10 years :?

Hence my decision to do something(s) I've been putting off for sometime :cool:

ATB :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:38 am I think this year has taught us that no one knows what's around the corner let alone 10 years :?
Hi Andy,
I hope you're keeping safe and well.
You're quite right, of course. What I meant to say is that if we do happen to get another 10 years of enjoyment out of our Capris (or V8 Mustangs), that's a brilliant thing isn't it? In my opinion, what happens after that isn't worth losing sleep over right now.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:59 am
andyd wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:38 am I think this year has taught us that no one knows what's around the corner let alone 10 years :?
Hi Andy,
I hope you're keeping safe and well.
You're quite right, of course. What I meant to say is that if we do happen to get another 10 years of enjoyment out of our Capris (or V8 Mustangs), that's a brilliant thing isn't it? In my opinion, what happens after that isn't worth losing sleep over right now.

Andrew.
That was sort of my point :)

All ok here :cool:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Something doesnt add up about this. I don't buy it. I think the gov is desperately trying to encourage buying of new cars to inject some £££ into the economy and do away with a large portion of the private used car industry. Think about it.... lets say nobody in Britain has a petrol car by 2030, and you want to drive to Spain where there's no or considerably less charging infrastructure, well, you're stuffed.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:45 pm Something doesnt add up about this. I don't buy it. I think the gov is desperately trying to encourage buying of new cars to inject some £££ into the economy and do away with a large portion of the private used car industry. Think about it.... lets say nobody in Britain has a petrol car by 2030, and you want to drive to Spain where there's no or considerably less charging infrastructure, well, you're stuffed.
With all the U turns the last few months, this will also be something else?!

Probably just distracting the talking point away from Cummings etc.
andyd

Post by andyd »

In the papers today https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... ing-uk-tax

If this :turd: does comes in, I would hope they scrap the current car tax/road tax (or whatever they decide to call it now). Should have done this along time ago and put it on the price per litre of fuel, so if you drive 50k miles a year in a 1.6 Focus you pay more than someone that drives 3k miles in a 3.0 Capri etc!

If/when all vehicles are electric in years to come, watch all the electricity prices increase then as a new sure way to hammer the motorist :spank: