I would rather have a Capri than an urban 4x4..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

I would rather have a Capri than an urban 4x4..

Post by STEVEW »

I would never buy one of these urban 4x4s.
I've noticed that, especially on roundabouts, the indicators seldom work!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: I would rather have a Capri than an urban 4x4..

Post by andyd »

:agree: 100%

It says alot about the driver when they think it's no one else's business which way they are going :doh:
Can't see the difficulty in using indicators :? I will indicate at 06.00 when I'm out that early, even if no one else is around!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

My mate, who is normally I good driver, bought an A3 and now doesnt indicate at all :twak:

I keep having a go at him and now he rebels and says "Audi privilege!" to wind me up. Oh the faces of annoyed people at the roundabout haunts me still.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm My mate, who is normally I good driver, bought an A3 and now doesnt indicate at all :twak:

I keep having a go at him and now he rebels and says "Audi privilege!" to wind me up. Oh the faces of annoyed people at the roundabout haunts me still.
Too many drivers on the road that shouldn't be :roll: If you didn't indicate on your driving test you failed!

Hopefully this new law will be passed to help sort the really bad offenders :poke: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/consumer- ... ences-2021
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Doubt it will change anything sadly.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yep , specially when its the law makers/changers driving these things . How about we make laws taking 4x4 ownership to the extreme......like
Must have mud grip tires on at all times
No air bags ,no abs , no crumple zones no cruise control. All passengers must be over 18 and certified in 1st aid
All 4x4's must carry at all times
High lift jacks ,winches , lift bags ,ground anchors and traction aides.
All said and done the above all makes good sense for the 4wd intended use ,wouldnt see many on the road then . :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Post by damajin »

Probably going to catch some flack on here for saying this, but I used to own an urban 4x4 and it was great, in fact we're considering switching from the SMax we have now back to the Kuga as we liked it more. It did great in the snow up in Northumberland and Scotland when we took it up there, and it was good for towing my Puma to track days. It def. wasn't a "proper" 4x4 and ran most of it's life in 2WD but that just helped with the fuel consumption.

I def. understand where people are coming from with them as they are tall which makes them harder to see round, etc and they prob do throw a bit more spray up but I think modern cars tend to do that anyway as they have much wider tyres than they used to.

As for driving standards, I don't think the SUV is responsible for bad driving habits. I think that there are just a lot of crappy drivers on the road these days and, with them being the most popular car for the last 5+ years (in terms of sales), a good number of those crappy drivers are in SUV's. I would argue that if you took those same drivers and put them in a Fiesta or anything else, the same bad habits would still be there.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't have to choose between the Capri and the other thing. The Capri is mine to enjoy and we have the other car for taking the family about in. That said, if I was forced to choose, the Capri would be the last car I would let go. I love it and it's been in my family a long time.

Sadly the change to legislation, if it does anything, will only be to punish those after the fact. It will do nothing to address the issues that lead to the accident and will be little consolation to the family of the victim, who may or may not have had an equal part in causing the accident in the first place.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

andyd wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:01 pm :agree: 100%

It says alot about the driver when they think it's no one else's business which way they are going :doh:
Can't see the difficulty in using indicators :? I will indicate at 06.00 when I'm out that early, even if no one else is around!

Did a 'Roadcraft' course a few years back, courtesy of Norfolk traffic police (it was a charity fundraising thing)
Anyway, they pointed out that indicating all the time regardless is almost as bad as not indicating at all.
The argument being that you should be sufficiently aware of the roads and traffic around you at all times to know whether there is anyone there that needs to be indicated to.
Just because another car is on the road, doesn't necessarily mean it is in a position to need to know which way you are turning, for example.
Every time you make a change of direction, for whatever reason, you should conduct an assessment of the conditions around you and select the indicator if it is required.
The conditions around you also include any pedestrians that may need to know where you're going.
The police argument is that, if you just select the indicator every time, then it becomes a habit and you could do it without the need to carefully observe your surroundings.
Of course, you could be the most alert driver in the world and still choose to indicate every single time, but for the vast majority, by needing to decide whether an indicator is required or not, it makes them take a much closer interest in their present situation.

Just to qualify that though................I live in Norfolk, where it seems that indicators are only used to show you the direction from which the idiot has just appeared in front of you from!
And tractors are exempt! Which is a bugger, as they make up about 30% of the traffic! :lol:
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Bug wrote:
...indicators are only used to show you the direction from which the idiot has just appeared in front of you from!
And then said idiot stops at the next roundabout and won't put-put on to it until it's completely empty! :xd:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

STEVEW wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:18 pm Bug wrote:
...indicators are only used to show you the direction from which the idiot has just appeared in front of you from!
And then said idiot stops at the next roundabout and won't put-put on to it until it's completely empty! :xd:
That's not such a problem though. Gives you time to work out which way he/she may be turning.
General rule of thumb is work it out from the position taken up on the road, then assume the exact opposite.

Had a great experience Sunday evening, turning off the A47 to head south on the A11.
The slip road is controlled by traffic lights. As the A11 is dual carriageway, the left and centre lanes both go left onto it. The right-hand lane goes right, into Norwich.
With a dozen cars in the left lane, I pulled up straight to the front of the centre lane, indicating correctly that I'd be turning left onto the outside lane of the A11.
What I had not allowed for were the idiots either side of me, who were both the type that have to swing out wide to negotiate the slightest curve.
As we set off, LH idiot swung right (well you do need a lot of room on a gentle curve at 10mph!), whilst RH idiot swung left (for similar reasons) :wank: .
Within two cars lengths from the lights turning green, my lane ceased to exist! :shock:

The horn on my new car is awesome it turns out.....................as is having a wife fluent in Glaswegian and the certain knowledge of what her middle finger is for!!! :xd:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Bug wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:42 pm

The horn on my new car is awesome it turns out.....................as is having a wife fluent in Glaswegian and the certain knowledge of what her middle finger is for!!! :xd:
Oh yes I have a few hand gestures myself, I daren't leave home without them.

They also include a wave or thumbs up to anyone that gives way :cool: Courtesy really, but so hard for many others :?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Some peeps driving 4x4's are well aware that they are better off in a collision and thusly drive with minimal consideration for other road users ......women with a car load of kids on the school run are notorious. There is one round here that regularly parks diagonally across both disabled parks at the market.......one time ,after appealing to her sense of decency and being looked at like I was shit off her shoe ...I snipped all her tire valve stems off with a pair of side cutters......fuck the bitch :xd:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I bet you now find out that she has an ultra rare disability, its actually a degenerative physiological condition where your bones keep on growing and you can only walk with terrible cramps and her vocal cords and her facial muscles get confused and when she tries to apologise and explain her terrible curse of an affliction, the overloaded facial nerves make it seem like she's looking at people like they're pieces of shit.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Mc Tool wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:56 pmone time ,after appealing to her sense of decency and being looked at like I was shit off her shoe ...I snipped all her tire valve stems off with a pair of side cutters......fuck the bitch :xd:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Here's how to deal with bad parking! 😉

https://youtu.be/-qc0aaY-3qY

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Major_Tom wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 pm I bet you now find out that she has an ultra rare disability, its actually a degenerative physiological condition where your bones keep on growing and you can only walk with terrible cramps and her vocal cords and her facial muscles get confused and when she tries to apologise and explain her terrible curse of an affliction, the overloaded facial nerves make it seem like she's looking at people like they're pieces of shit.
She was expensively dressed ( according to Di, who used to work in a "name brand" 2nd hand clothing store ) arrogant and conceited .....probly a lawyer.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Major_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm My mate, who is normally I good driver, bought an A3 and now doesnt indicate at all :twak:

Tell him a measly A3 doesn’t qualify for such privileges, it’s only A4’s and upwards, that will wind him up!

I once picked Fiona and her friend up from a restaurant and didn’t realise the car park had a one way system. They both helpfully pointed out that I was going the wrong way to which I responded with “5 Series w*nker” which just about sums it up really! Actually that sounds like a guest publication from Have I Got News For You.... :lol:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mjcapri wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 am

Tell him a measly A3 doesn’t qualify for such privileges, it’s only A4’s and upwards, that will wind him up!
:lol: 👍
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Mr B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 am Here's how to deal with bad parking! 😉

https://youtu.be/-qc0aaY-3qY

Wayne
Heh heh heh ,I like the cut of his jib .....and his angle grinder , it's good size for a battery job .