BSC/BTCC

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

BSC/BTCC

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

So, the old BSC now BTCC iss up and running again but for how long? Not because of the dreaded coronavirus but because Saloon cars will be no more. Will anybody want to watch electric SUV"s I wonder? With saloon cars from all manufacturers heading for the chop I do wonder what the future holds. May e YouTube and memories.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: BSC/BTCC

Post by Major_Tom »

Wont there just be electric saloon cars?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I watched some of it on ITV4 last Sunday, and said to Mrs AndyD how all the cars lookalike now :headscratch:

Years ago you could easily tell the Volvo, Ford, Vauxhall, and BMWs apart.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 am Wont there just be electric saloon cars?
Well yes and no. Saloon cars if they exist. The issue you is, what's coming from the inside if you read the inkies is that manufacturers are beginning a process of winding down saloon car production and replacing them with SUV"S, even Ford are said to be dropping the Mondeo then Focus to be replaced by SUV"s.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Strictly speaking a significant portion of the field aren’t actually saloon cars even now. I can think of the Infiniti’s, Beemers (3 series), Audi’s and VW’s straightaway as proper saloons, and ill give the (FK8) Hondas the benefit of the doubt based on overall shape. Likewise the new Hyundai’s, I’m not sure if they’re true saloons but they’re the booted version so they qualify for me. The Fords, Mercs, 1 Series Beemers, Toyota, and older Civics are hatchbacks, as are the absent V***halls. But that’s all besides the point really as they are all cars as opposed to the dreadful SUV’s which seem to taking over....

I think we’re being conditioned, as the first generation of mass produced affordable electric vehicles are likely to be heavy SUV shaped monstrosities, necessary to accommodate the huge batteries needed to provide the required range. By forcing the masses into IC engined equivalents now it will lessen the shock later on. I honestly think there is some truth in that, along with (mainly) women getting a false sense of safety from sitting higher up.

Sadly I think the days of not just ‘true’ petrol heads, but car enthusiasts in general, are numbered. Self driving electric blobs are the future, and a surprising number of people can’t wait as it will mean one less activity that requires them to think as they go about their mindless anodyne existence. I’m actually past caring, as long as they don’t legislate against us continuing to enjoy our pollution spewing relics, and fuel is available.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:22 pm I watched some of it on ITV4 last Sunday, and said to Mrs AndyD how all the cars lookalike now :headscratch:
Are you sure you weren't watching the one-make support races Andy? :lol:

Seriously though, I think that with a lot of modern cars if you removed the badges, most people would not be able to identify the car.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 am
andyd wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:22 pm I watched some of it on ITV4 last Sunday, and said to Mrs AndyD how all the cars lookalike now :headscratch:
Are you sure you weren't watching the one-make support races Andy? :lol:

:?
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 am

Seriously though, I think that with a lot of modern cars if you removed the badges, most people would not be able to identify the car.

Andrew.
:agree: