Rotary Tool - Aldi

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Post Reply
User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by pbar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm

I know that some on here take satisfaction from polishing/tittivating their bits (ooh!) and that rotary tools are a part of this process. Aldi have them in currently, seems a very good kit for around £17

Image

Stish704
Donator
Donator
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:34 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Stish704 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Looks a bargain. Had a Drexel years ago but gawd knows where it is!

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by pbar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Stish704 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm
Looks a bargain. Had a Drexel years ago but gawd knows where it is!
Do you mean a Dremel? I have one too, hardly used it though to be honest. A couple of weeks ago I did dig it out just to have a play and even though it hasn't seen the light of day for several years, the battery still had some life in it and amazingly it spun.

Yes I agree, the Aldi one looks superb value.

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Caprifan Rob » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm

pbar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm
I know that some on here take satisfaction from polishing/tittivating their bits (ooh!) and that rotary tools are a part of this process. Aldi have them in currently, seems a very good kit for around £17
Couldn't have timed this better Paul. My son builds electric guitars & was looking to buy one of these tools, for that price you cant go wrong. Cheers :cheers:

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by pbar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Couldn't have timed this better Paul. My son builds electric guitars & was looking to buy one of these tools, for that price you cant go wrong. Cheers :cheers:
Magic :) Thank you Rob.

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Mc Tool » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Yep , and check out fleabay for consumables.......free freight from China ,for a fraction of the "brand" items cost , I have been real happy so far (been polishin intake manifolds ) with the quality and delivery times.
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3743
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Jasonmarie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:34 pm

That’s great I have two Dremel for doing jobs on clocks they do make a noise .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 7180
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by andyd » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 am

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm
pbar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm
I know that some on here take satisfaction from polishing/tittivating their bits (ooh!) and that rotary tools are a part of this process. Aldi have them in currently, seems a very good kit for around £17
Couldn't have timed this better Paul. My son builds electric guitars & was looking to buy one of these tools, for that price you cant go wrong. Cheers :cheers:
In 2010 I made a Fender Strat copy from parts bought from Ebay and the states :D

Quite enjoyable with the help from a mate that had done one before.

Got rid of it a few years ago as I couldn't progress any further. Just play the air guitar now :guitar: :)
Don't you even dare think about opening your sunroof :twak:

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by D366Y » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 am

andyd wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 am
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm
pbar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm
I know that some on here take satisfaction from polishing/tittivating their bits (ooh!) and that rotary tools are a part of this process. Aldi have them in currently, seems a very good kit for around £17
Couldn't have timed this better Paul. My son builds electric guitars & was looking to buy one of these tools, for that price you cant go wrong. Cheers :cheers:
In 2010 I made a Fender Strat copy from parts bought from Ebay and the states :D

Quite enjoyable with the help from a mate that had done one before.

Got rid of it a few years ago as I couldn't progress any further. Just play the air guitar now :guitar: :)
I always want to build my own but end up buying them instead :lol:
Will do one some day! :guitar:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:

tejb1
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6L (weekend/holidays)

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by tejb1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Ooo now that is a good price, there's now an Aldi near me that sells the special offer tools etc so may just have to pick one up later.

For £17 it's not going to be top notch and indestructible, but it'll do fine for weekend use on the car etc.

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Caprifan Rob » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm

andyd wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08 am
Just play the air guitar now :guitar: :)
That’s all ever been able to play :lol:
D366Y wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:32 am
I always want to build my own but end up buying them instead :lol:
Will do one some day! :guitar:
Idle hands in lockdown, he’s done a few now.
tejb1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:00 pm
Ooo now that is a good price, there's now an Aldi near me that sells the special offer tools etc so may just have to pick one up later.
Well worth it I think, not something you use every day so should last ok.
pbar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Magic :) Thank you Rob.
Thanks for the ‘Aldi Updates’ not on commission are you :D

mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm
Car(s): Diamond White Mk3 Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Deep Orange Fiesta ST Performance Edition

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by mjcapri » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 pm

It looks like another ‘can’t go wrong at the price’ power tool from Aldi. At £17 they’re giving it away.

I have a Dremel and to be perfectly honest they aren’t all that, I suspect like a lot of things they’ve been value engineered over the years and aren’t as good as they once were. I should say mine has never let me down but I don’t use it very much.

The collets are the main thing to check on these mini rotary tools as some of the cheap ones are rubbish and don’t tighten properly. When they eject the bit at full speed you don’t want your head or anything else valuable in the way!

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by pbar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks for the ‘Aldi Updates’ not on commission are you :D
Hehe, I sometimes feel like I'm on the marketing team Rob. I pop into my local one quite often so I like to give a heads up if I see something new, so many on here seem to be interested so it's nice to give a little back.

Maybe I could get a job there, wonder if there's a staff discount, just think of all the things I could come home with then!

Stish704
Donator
Donator
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:34 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!
Location: Hornchurch, Essex.

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by Stish704 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:58 am

I bought one of these for myself. Not tried it out yet, will probably be a while til I do but I got one!
And yes Pbar, did mean Dremel. Poxy autocorrect.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6105
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Rotary Tool - Aldi

Post by pbar » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Stish704 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:58 am
I bought one of these for myself. Not tried it out yet, will probably be a while til I do but I got one!
And yes Pbar, did mean Dremel. Poxy autocorrect.
Excellent! Hope you find it to be a worthwhile buy.

Post Reply