New webcon carb

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

New webcon carb

Post by Jasonmarie »

Spotted this on face book today for us folks with a carb and will watch with interested with E10 petrol coming out next year .
So here’s the post

Quote from face book .
That's a funny looking carburettor!
Over the next few weeks I'll be having a play with the Retroject, a complete EFI drop on carb replacement for the 32/36 or 38 DGAS DGAV.
It's got 2 injectors, a fuel pressure regulator, air temperature sensor, throttle position sensor and idle vale all in one.

Hoping to offer a budget CORE4 based ECU to run it soon.

Great for all sorts of old skool ford setups.

The company is called https://diy-efi.co.uk/
I have ask the guy permission to post up his findings and hope he will join us on here to answer the questions :cool:

Picture
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: New webcon carb

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep seen this too Jason. Bit of a worry but the government and many classic car media articles have indicated they understand many classic car owners will still be running carbs and requiring 95/98 fuel and won't all be replacing them so fingers crossed most filling stations will still have pumps with suitable fuel. But yep change us afoot and the default fuel at all stations from next year will be E10.
I seen that Weber did a similar fuel injection "twin Carb"
set up when I was thinking of upgrades to mine but there's something about traditional carbs that I just love so hope to be running them for a few more years... :shock:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 pm Yep seen this too Jason. Bit of a worry but the government and many classic car media articles have indicated they understand many classic car owners will still be running carbs and requiring 95/98 fuel and won't all be replacing them so fingers crossed most filling stations will still have pumps with suitable fuel. But yep change us afoot and the default fuel at all stations from next year will be E10.
I seen that Weber did a similar fuel injection "twin Carb"
set up when I was thinking of upgrades to mine but there's something about traditional carbs that I just love so hope to be running them for a few more years... :shock:
I agree mate as the CCI and classic ford magazine have stated talking about E10 we don’t use normal unleaded anyway as the super unleaded has been going for years and years , and I think it still will past the five years that they say it has to be kept .
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Surely even if you fit a fancy new 'carburettor' thingummy, you still have all your rubber fuel lines and seals being eaten away?
Have they got an additive lined up for that??
Jama
Car(s): Mk3 2.0's - Satin black - f2 Spec pinto

Post by Jama »

Hi Guys,

I own and run DIY-EFI, it was actually started a few years ago now after I was unhappy with the cost of the ECU when fitting an ST170 lump into my Capri.
I now design and supply low cost ECUs and accessories intended to convert a classic car to EFI.

I don't sell the retroject, I'm just trialing one with my range of ECUs, I might offer a specific ECU bundle in the future with the connectors etc included.

There is more involved with this than just dropping it in place of a carb
You will need a trigger setup (many options on how to do this), a high pressure fuel setup (2.8i tank and pump or a swirl pot) , a few other sensors and an ECU.

It will however allow you to run modern fuels, all the way up to E85, If you fit an ethanol sensor it will adjust itself based on the E** content.
You also get all the other benefits of EFI, great starting under all conditions, spot on idle, and no compromise in fueling across the rev range.

This one is going to find it's way on to a mk3 3.0 Essex in the coming months with a stealth distributor trigger.

Any questions on this or EFI conversions in general feel free to ask.
If some time has passed and I've not gotten back to you give me a shout over at my website or Facebook page.

Cheers,
James
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Reading the article in CCI this month I though E10 wouldn't actually be that detrimental to classic cars - they even seem positive about it (almost).

Things may degrade quicker but I think ultimately we all maintain our cars and it's not like they're treated like scrappers anymore and we'll all be keeping an eye on these things
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Wideboy
Car(s): 1978 3.0 Ghia made to look like an "S"

Post by Wideboy »

As my vehicle is the test bed for this once its fitted I'll stick up some photo's and video of the thing working.
Not sure when its going on because of the Covid situation and James needs to sort out the Dizzy so it can run a trigger wheel.
Already got the 2.8 tank and fuel pump so once that's in and the fuel lines are sorted it will be all systems go with fitting it and setting it up.
Be interesting to see what the results are but its more of a opportunity for James to develop and test products so he can expand the range services he can offer for some of the older cars out there.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Wideboy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:30 pm As my vehicle is the test bed for this once its fitted I'll stick up some photo's and video of the thing working.
Not sure when its going on because of the Covid situation and James needs to sort out the Dizzy so it can run a trigger wheel.
Already got the 2.8 tank and fuel pump so once that's in and the fuel lines are sorted it will be all systems go with fitting it and setting it up.
Be interesting to see what the results are but its more of a opportunity for James to develop and test products so he can expand the range services he can offer for some of the older cars out there.
Hi Jeff. Wow ! So you are getting this fitted to your 3.0 mate. Very exciting for you mate. Yes let us know how it all goes and how your Capri drives too. Quite a bit of work to get it all fitted and set up from what James said. It sounds an amazing bit of kit. Cant wait to hear what you think of it. When we next meet up you will prob have it all up and running and bedded in. Good luck mate. An exciting modification. To be continued... :lol:

Ps Hope you and your family are all well mate and look forward to catching up with you as and when fella :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Wideboy
Car(s): 1978 3.0 Ghia made to look like an "S"

Post by Wideboy »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Wideboy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:30 pm As my vehicle is the test bed for this once its fitted I'll stick up some photo's and video of the thing working.
Hi Jeff. Wow ! So you are getting this fitted to your 3.0 mate. Very exciting for you mate. Yes let us know how it all goes and how your Capri drives too. Quite a bit of work to get it all fitted and set up from what James said. It sounds an amazing bit of kit. Cant wait to hear what you think of it. When we next meet up you will prob have it all up and running and bedded in. Good luck mate. An exciting modification. To be continued... :lol:

Ps Hope you and your family are all well mate and look forward to catching up with you as and when fella :)

Hi Mate
All good here and hoping its the same with you.

Will an interesting project.
I think the hardest bit will be installing the tank and high pressure fuel feed from the tank to the front.
Nothing to taxing just a lot of laying on my back with sh*t falling into my face.

I haven't been out about too much in the old girl recently.Perhaps i will get an invite to the next "Nick Mini Meet"...Social distancing to be observed at all times. :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Hi Jeff so it’s your car that’s great mate and glad all ok yes Nicks Mini Meet is in the making so we are all waiting on the pinto master :lol:
Yes keep us posted on how it goes .
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Wideboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:16 pm Nothing to taxing just a lot of laying on my back with sh*t falling into my face.
Perfect description of capri ownership :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

This looks good. A couple of things:

Ive read a bit about the Holley Sniper as a self contained all in one EFI carb replacement for V8s. Is this a similar principle but with the ECU mounted externally to the carb bit ?

Would it offer a performance, economy and reliability increase over the mechanical injection on the 2.8i ?