Garage Floor

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Garage Floor

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

So, after about four years in the planning I finally got around to doing the garage floor. Took a lot of prep work with a hammer and chisel and sandpaper ( no machinery used) flattening off the old clumps of cement and other bits. Decided against the full job of getting the floor grinded and leveled so I worked with what I had and anyway the divets and imperfections give it a proper patina look garage floor :lol:

Anyway heres a few pics. Am well chuffed how its turned out. Totally transformed :)

So, as said hammer and chisel and sandpaper to flatten it best I could...

Then after a good wash, wash and another wash :lol:

It was ready for two coats of dustproofer/ hardener sealer

Then two coats of the floor paint in Tile Red. Yep I know many do Grey paint but I've always promised myself a retro tile Red floor against the white walls

Then this morning I fitted the finishing touch... a weather strip across the front which not only finishes it off a treat but should keep alot of CRaP blowing underneath the door

So as said am well chuffed how its turned out. Now I will leave it a few more days ( top coats were finished Weds) to harden before moving B112 back in. It's right next door in my sister in laws garage so I'm very lucky to be able to park it up in there for over a week. Have bought some nice hallway carpet runners cut to size to lay down so B112 drives in on these rather than the new paint. Will see if I decide to leave these down permanently but knowing me I prob will :wave: :lol:

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Garage Floor

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That looks great Nick!
Are you making shadow animals in the fifth photo down? :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:50 pm That looks great Nick!
Thanks Andrew. Much appreciated fella :)
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:50 pm Are you making shadow animals in the fifth photo down?
:lol: Yes can't you see it's a rare Welsh Hare mate :wave:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking good mate , I rung dad and said your be down to do his :beer: he said he will pay in kindness :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 pm Looking good mate
Thanks Jason :)
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 pmI rung dad and said your be down to do his :beer: he said he will pay in kindness :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock:... :wave:... :burnout:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Nick, I`d leave it as long as possible before putting car in, as I had a lot of trouble with the tyres sticking to the paint even after several days when it seemed really hard. (I think the `sticky` tyre rubber with 1/4 ton pressure for a week formed quite a good bond :roll: Had to use squares of cling film in the end to stop it sticking.
Edit: missed the carpet bit: that does make sense - I`d leave them!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

stevemarl wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 pm Nick, I`d leave it as long as possible before putting car in, as I had a lot of trouble with the tyres sticking to the paint even after several days when it seemed really hard. (I think the `sticky` tyre rubber with 1/4 ton pressure for a week formed quite a good bond :roll: Had to use squares of cling film in the end to stop it sticking.
Edit: missed the carpet bit: that does make sense - I`d leave them!
Hi Steve. Thanks very much for your reply mate. Yep think I will probably end up keeping the carpet runners permantly just as you advise. Then if these stick I'm OK :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

makes me wanna do a burnout :lol:
Looks real good Nick.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looks great Nick :cool:

Lucky you have another garage to keep 112 in while this is sorted, can't see it would have been done otherwise :lol:

I was thinking about putting some old carpet on our garage floor. Not sure it really does anything and have read it can sweat and cause mould etc underneath, so might not bother :headscratch:

I have put a length of decking along the front of the door to help prevent leaves etc blowing under the door, it helps a little.

Painting the white garage door blue is the only garage upgrade here as it shows less dirt :D

:goodluck:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Looking good Nick and it's surprising how much difference the entrance strip makes.
You're not worried that 112 will just blend in with the floor then - or is it a stealth security measure :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

How posh are you?!
Crooking your little finger when you take photos. :D
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 am have read it can sweat and cause mould etc underneath, so might not bother
Andy,
I`ve had carpet down on a painted concrete floor for years now and it`s been absolutely fine, no damp problems at all. And it`s so much nicer to kneel / crawl on.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:02 am
andyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 am have read it can sweat and cause mould etc underneath, so might not bother
Andy,
I`ve had carpet down on a painted concrete floor for years now and it`s been absolutely fine, no damp problems at all. And it`s so much nicer to kneel / crawl on.
If I do use the carpet, I won't be painting the floor first and the carpet will fit where it touches :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

One of the cleanest garages I’ve seen. Nice job Nick :applaud:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 am If I do use the carpet, I won't be painting the floor first and the carpet will fit where it touches :)
I'd suggest it might be a good idea to test the concrete for moisture before laying down any sort of flooring.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:01 am
andyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 am If I do use the carpet, I won't be painting the floor first and the carpet will fit where it touches :)
I'd suggest it might be a good idea to test the concrete for moisture before laying down any sort of flooring.

Andrew.
Is that the lick test ? Or the sit on the concrete for two hours a day for the next seven days and if you don’t get piles then it’s safe to lay the carpet .

Hope the test goes well andy :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:01 am

Andrew.
Is that the lick test ? Or the sit on the concrete for two hours a day for the next seven days and if you don’t get piles then it’s safe to lay the carpet .

Hope the test goes well andy :lol:
All getting a little complicated, think I'll just take carpet to the tip. What I've never had I won't miss :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:33 am makes me wanna do a burnout :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:..... :lol:
Mc Tool wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:33 amLooks real good Nick.
Thanks Hamish :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 am Looks great Nick :cool:

Lucky you have another garage to keep 112 in while this is sorted, can't see it would have been done otherwise :lol:

I was thinking about putting some old carpet on our garage floor. Not sure it really does anything and have read it can sweat and cause mould etc underneath, so might not bother :headscratch:

I have put a length of decking along the front of the door to help prevent leaves etc blowing under the door, it helps a little.

Painting the white garage door blue is the only garage upgrade here as it shows less dirt :D

:goodluck:
:lol: Yes Andy without the use of my sister in laws garage it would still be a dusty concrete floor :wave: :lol:

I now have to try to 'overstay' my welcome till next Thurs to give the floor more time to proper harden. A box of chocolates and bottle of wine should sort it :lol:

I will lay down nice new carpet runners Andy for B112 to drive onto do it will be semi carpeted but thd main reason for doin this was to proper seal thd dusty floor and brighten it up :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 am Looking good Nick and it's surprising how much difference the entrance strip makes.
You're not worried that 112 will just blend in with the floor then - or is it a stealth security measure :lol:
:lol: Yes B112 will compliment the floor a treat.!!!

Peter that weather strip really does finish it off a treat just as I had hoped and it should stop leaves etc blowing in too. But it's just great at last to have a sealed floor now. No more dust !!!! Peter, even Siobhan was impressed with my garage when she seen it yesterday :lol:

Cheers mate :)