40 year Tax/MOT

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

40 year Tax/MOT

Post by andyd »

Found this on Capri World Facebook;

"Date of first registration is not the criteria, it's date of build.
GAEC xx 12345 - where xx is the date code"
Decipher yours here;
capri.jpg
Mine is DM, so built November 1983 and registrered March 1st 1984.

A reply as to when my car qualifies;
"1/4/2025. The only vehicles that are eligible for historic registration are those first registered in the first week of a year. That is, if yours had been registered in the first week of 1984, you could apply on 1/1/2024. Failing that, it's always 1st April the year after that i.e. 2025."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 40 year Tax/MOT

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Sorry Andy, I'm not following.
If the build date is the criteria for tax free status, why are you being told that your car will be tax free on the anniversary of the registration date?
Surely yours will be tax free from 1st January 2024?
Here's the criteria from the official source:
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ve ... ehicle-tax

So, if you fast forward 4 years from now (2024), the DVLA website will say that you can apply to stop paying for tax if you vehicle was built before 1st January 1984, which yours was.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Need Tom on this as he has been in contact with DVLA sorting his out .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 pm Sorry Andy, I'm not following.
If the build date is the criteria for tax free status, why are you being told that your car will be tax free on the anniversary of the registration date?
Surely yours will be tax free from 1st January 2024?
Here's the criteria from the official source:
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/ve ... ehicle-tax

So, if you fast forward 4 years from now (2024), the DVLA website will say that you can apply to stop paying for tax if you vehicle was built before 1st January 1984, which yours was.

Andrew.
I'm lost with it Andrew :?

I've read comments the car has to be 41 :headscratch:

Here are the comments over night on Facebook starting with my question;
Just checked mine from the V5. DM = November '83, registered March 1st '84. So what month/year will mine qualify? Thanks

Steve Bailey 1/4/2025 - The only vehicles that are eligible for historic registration are those first registered in the first week of a year. That is, if yours had been registered in the first week of 1984, you could apply on 1/1/2024. Failing that, it's always 1st April the year after that i.e. 2025.

Alan D Brown Steve Bailey - wrong..
date of registration is not a criteria ..
read the actual DVLA guidance ..

Steve Bailey Alan D Brown if you can PROVE the date of build, DVLA will accept your premise. However, in the vast majority of cases, this is not possible or in fact, the information was never recorded. Being the case, as I have described is the procedure adopted in the vast majority of cases. I comment from experience with no fewer than three vehicles.

Alan D Brown Steve Bailey - the chassis number is affixed by the manufacturer, they also will respond to requests from owners to provide proof.
theres plenty guys doing it, mine is a build of September 85, so havent had to try yet ..
its not unique to Capris.. the chassis numbers are structured to a fully recognised system in all major countries, and by all manufacturers ..

Steve Bailey Alan D Brown yeah, I agree that a VIN number should (theoretically) give quite specific formation about a vehicle but without a way of deciphering a VIN number, and thus proving a build date, you're back to the date of registration as default. The above table is a great tool and clearly, Capris are well documented which is great. My Capri is a '78 2 litre GL Auto registered in September '78. As I mentioned, my VIN begins GAECUP so i guess that means it was built in August '78. I registered her as historic last year but had to wait until 1/4/19 to do so.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:45 am I've read comments the car has to be 41 :headscratch:
Not according to the DVLA, and I'm more inclined to believe them than some misinformed person on Facebook!
I'm a bit luckier than you here, as my build date and registration date are both in 1983, so my car will definitely be tax exempt from 1st January 2024. Yours will be too if you can provide evidence of the build date, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue as, as you say, Ford build date codes are all well documented.

Andrew.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

I went though all this last year so can tell you exactly how it happens. My car was registered 9th jan 79 so the dvla needed to have prove of the build date, they do not accept VIN details. I obtained a letter from Ford Uk direct stating the build date to be December 78, which of course matches the VIN tag which the DVLA duly accepted. The tax details where then up dated which you can see on line to show a manufacture date of December 78 with a registration date of January 79. However the tax free only comes in from April the 1st and not jan 1st.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 am However the tax free only comes in from April the 1st and not jan 1st.
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for clarifying that, I think I understand now!
The car will be MOT exempt from the 40th anniversary of the build date if proven (registration date if not) and tax exempt from the following April 1st?

Andrew.

Edited to add "the 40th anniversary of" to clarify the point.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Yep and I didn’t get an mot and as of April 1st the taxation class changed and happy days
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 am
Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 am However the tax free only comes in from April the 1st and not jan 1st.
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for clarifying that, I think I understand now!
The car will be MOT exempt from the 40th anniversary of the build date if proven (registration date if not) and tax exempt from the following April 1st?

Andrew.

Edited to add "the 40th anniversary of" to clarify the point.
Thanks both Andrews :)

So mine will be MOT exempt from November 2023 and tax exempt from 1st April 2024?

When the time comes would a copy of the above build dates along with the V5 form not be enough to prove build date?

:cheers:
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Andy I don’t think the build sheet would be good enough, the only thing the DVLA appeared to accept was a ford letter. One thing I would check would be the mot exemption, is that for a car 40 years old or a car registered under a taxation class as historic, worst case you need an mot until April 1st as the car won’t be registered as historic until april 1st £30!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:21 am Andy I don’t think the build sheet would be good enough, the only thing the DVLA appeared to accept was a ford letter. One thing I would check would be the mot exemption, is that for a car 40 years old or a car registered under a taxation class as historic, worst case you need an mot until April 1st as the car won’t be registered as historic until april 1st £30!
Having to write to Ford for a letter seems incredible :? Do you have to give them the GAECxx from the V5 for them to confirm what we already know?

As this will eventually be affecting 1000s of vehicles, I can't understand why there isn't an easier way through DVLA. Maybe there will be as the years pass, but seems they are making it as awkward as possible :roll:

I will be having an MOT as normal anyway so not too worried about that.

Andy
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Andy the only time you need the letter from fords is when the build date and reg date are over split years, I suppose the same have applied even since the change in taxation class was brought it.

Pm me your number and I will call you if you want
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:09 am Andy the only time you need the letter from fords is when the build date and reg date are over split years, I suppose the same have applied even since the change in taxation class was brought it.

Pm me your number and I will call you if you want
I will need that letter then as mine was built Nov 83 and registered March 84.

Thanks for the offer of a phone call, but as it's 4 years away yet no rush :D

Atb
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

No worries, it’s no harm in getting the ford letter for your records and having the DVLA update there records to show the manufacture date as when that special time arrives it won’t be a bun fight with them all. I found the hardest thing to do was finding out what to do and how to go about it
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am No worries, it’s no harm in getting the ford letter for your records and having the DVLA update there records to show the manufacture date as when that special time arrives it won’t be a bun fight with them all. I found the hardest thing to do was finding out what to do and how to go about it
I will do that Andrew, and many more might do after reading this.

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I'm still at a bit of a loss - sorry if I've just missed how it works....

My 3.0S was first registered in June 1980 and will therefore be 40 in a few months time. Can I apply for the MOT and Tax exemption straight away? Or do I have to wait until January before I can apply for them?

The GL will be 40 next July as well, built in May 81 but not registered until July but either way it's after April which is when the tax relief would start from anyway right? Bloody typical :roll:

If I'm reading it right, if it is old enough to be tax exempt you still have to pay up to April and it will be free afterwards once it is 40 right? Like with my 3.0, if it's on the road I'd have to pay tax on it until April 2021 right?

Sorry if this has already been explained but the whole thing really confuses me
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am I found the hardest thing to do was finding out what to do and how to go about it
Who do we need to write to at Ford?
Do you have a name and address for them?

Andrew.
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Yes I will dig out the letter over the weekend and share
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:46 am
Arnoldhar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:52 am I found the hardest thing to do was finding out what to do and how to go about it

Andrew.
I have an email address I have just used to contact, had a reply and just sent required items, so will let you know how it goes and give you details if all ok.... Ok :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

andyd wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:34 am
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:46 am

Andrew.
I have an email address I have just used to contact, had a reply and just sent required items, so will let you know how it goes and give you details if all ok.... Ok :)
Had a reply, they are sending me a pdf letter early next week.

I gave no clue I knew the build date so see what comes back!