1.6 GL Anyone?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

1.6 GL Anyone?

Post by pbar »

Just been surprised to see a Capri 1.6 GL with a reg I recognise but just can't place. Not sure if I should post the full number, so it was PRN ---X

Anyone on here perhaps? Otherwise I may have seen it at shows.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: 1.6 GL Anyone?

Post by andyd »

Hi Paul,
A quick Google search came up with Alan Brickles;

Hello, I’m Alan and I’m a self-employed electronic engineer from Stockport Cheshire. I’m a happily married father of 6 and with the little spare time I have, I enjoy camping (which is very useful for a club like this) and restoring and repairing classic cars.

I currently own 3 Ford Capris, with only my low mileage 1.6 GL being on the road (the other two are in a state of procrastination!)

For the past 4 years I have organised and held my own Classic Car Show in my local village to fundraise for charities that are close to my heart. Cheshire Capri Club has always fully supported me with this event which I am always so grateful for.

I believe this club isn’t just a club and the members aren’t just members. When you’re in this club, you become part of a solid unit of friends. It’s brilliant that I get to share my love of cars with people who are just as passionate about them as I am. I’m happy to try and help other members where I can with any technical aspects of their Capri if they get into difficulties.

Thanks for reading this
Alan

Nice looking car!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

If you search on Google for Alan Brickles, the first photo that comes up is a rather nice looking blue 1.6 GL.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks guys, yes a few moments ago I did remember, and I actually do know the previous owner very well, knew I recognised the reg just couldn't place it! I say previous owner, as he sold it a little while ago which I wasn't aware of, and now bizarrely it is parked up just round the corner from me. I was going to knock on but probably not the best idea at the moment. That's at least three Capri's I could walk/drive past and see in my local area, which is obviously great!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi pbar,

Before my son and I got our capri I never really took much notice. In fact I hadn't seen any in our vicinity.
After becoming interested in Capris I discovered that a guy in a neighbouring village has two: one being restored the other is a doner.
And then I saw that another Capri was advertised for sale in another village just a couple of kilometeres away.

It seems Capris are like coppers and buses.
When you need one they're never there but when you don't need one they turn up in twos or threes. :roll:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I have one around the corner from me that appeared last year, a 4 speed 2.0 S. It was immaculate but a bit of rust has appeared over winter so I presume it had been restored but not very well protected unfortunately.... I very rarely see any others, I haven’t even seen the famous Stagecoach bus liveried one for a while (yes you did read that right!).
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mjcapri wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 am I haven’t even seen the famous Stagecoach bus liveried one for a while (yes you did read that right!).
I was curious so I just had to look....

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 am
mjcapri wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 am I haven’t even seen the famous Stagecoach bus liveried one for a while (yes you did read that right!).

Andrew.
That’s the one! :xd:

Funnily enough we live a couple of minutes from where that photo was taken.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mjcapri wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:45 am That’s the one! :xd:
That's a relief as I was worried it might have been one of the other Stagecoach liveried Capris! :lol:

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 am
mjcapri wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:45 am That’s the one! :xd:
That's a relief as I was worried it might have been one of the other Stagecoach liveried Capris! :lol:

Andrew.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully it hasn’t been bought by Arriva!
pbar

Post by pbar »

STEVEW wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:42 pm Hi pbar,

Before my son and I got our capri I never really took much notice. In fact I hadn't seen any in our vicinity.
After becoming interested in Capris I discovered that a guy in a neighbouring village has two: one being restored the other is a doner.
And then I saw that another Capri was advertised for sale in another village just a couple of kilometeres away.

It seems Capris are like coppers and buses.
When you need one they're never there but when you don't need one they turn up in twos or threes. :roll:

I do think that the Capri is one of the most common classic cars around. At shows I see an awful lot of them, which is great obviously! And just out and about I see them frequently. BUt of course when you have one, then like you say, you seem to see them.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 am

Andrew.
Maybe Nick could do his up in Arriva turquoise....!